British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-01-18, 12:21 PM

Default Ministry of Information official badge photos

Ministry of Information official badge photos.

I've 'just' added a new album. I say, 'just' but it has taken me all weekend to scan and label the original photos.

These photos came to me from various sources, many of them from an old newspaper printer. They were released by the Ministry of Information between 1942 and 1944, as can be seen by the information on the reverse.
In some cases perhaps whoever labelled them worked for a Ministry of Mis-information as some badges are wrongly attributed (it wasn't me putting them in the wrong order either, the website did that of its own free will)

I've got to the stage where I have not found any more photos for ages, so it was time to share them as this is the most useful way I am likely to make of this record.

If any one can fill the gaps with other photos of the same series please pm me.

If you copy and post them elsewhere please tag them as to their source on the forum.

Stephen.
PS- I especially like the Cambridgeshire Regt badge minus the 'e'.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=3358
Old 28-01-18, 02:07 PM

Stephen,
thanks for taking the time to create this album, I for one appreciate your efforts.
Cheers Tony.
Old 28-01-18, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Great effort. Interesting that the Dorsetshires is Victorian and not the correct version for the period.

What is just as interesting are the ones that are not there particularly for the Yeomanry.
Old 28-01-18, 04:45 PM

Default Ministry of Information official badge photos

Stephen,

Many thanks for your post, most interesting, especially the Cambridgeshire without the "e" which was first issued when the 1st Btn was stationed at Weeting Hall in 1940, apparently after a couple of days someone noticed the "e" was missing and all, or most were recalled to later be issued to the Home Guard or Cadets.

My wife still has her Fathers on a photoframe and if you look at the "Adam Park Project" online I think a Cambridgeshire badge without the "e" was found on the site of the 1st Btns last stand before being ordered to surrender.

Rob
Old 29-01-18, 02:19 AM

Default Ministry of Information official cap badge photos

Rob,

Thank you for the TAPP snippet. I've just read their website page and it confirms that the badge without an 'e' was found in artefact condition at the site of 1 Bn, Cambs Regt last stand at Singapore in February 1942.

Stephen.

Catalogue Number: 07/06/012 Source: TAPP Archaeology Surveys Location: No7 Adam Park Report No: Report No.15 Artifact Type: Badges Production Date: 2013-11-01
Old 29-01-18, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Ministry of Information official badge photos.

I've 'just' added a new album. I say, 'just' but it has taken me all weekend to scan and label the original photos.

These photos came to me from various sources, many of them from an old newspaper printer. They were released by the Ministry of Information between 1942 and 1944, as can be seen by the information on the reverse.
In some cases perhaps whoever labelled them worked for a Ministry of Mis-information as some badges are wrongly attributed (it wasn't me putting them in the wrong order either, the website did that of its own free will)

I've got to the stage where I have not found any more photos for ages, so it was time to share them as this is the most useful way I am likely to make of this record.

If any one can fill the gaps with other photos of the same series please pm me.

If you copy and post them elsewhere please tag them as to their source on the forum.

Stephen.
PS- I especially like the Cambridgeshire Regt badge minus the 'e'.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=3358
Thanks Stephen you've done a cracking job with this information.
Andy
Old 30-01-18, 11:24 AM

Many thanks for your efforts here, Stephen -- wonderful to see contemporary images for WW2. I was delighted especially to see the badge of the Wiltshire Yeomanry represented, and to gain an even clearer idea of its general shape and look. A splendid archive!