British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-05-18, 11:19 AM

Hello Leigh

I think you've done OK, it looks good IMO. I have one very similar that has been pin Brooched, possibly for Sweetheart etc.

Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 19-05-18, 11:36 AM

Phew - it looked ok to me, but from images on a phone and I didn't have time to "research".
Old 19-05-18, 04:54 PM

I’m not so sure.

Voiding on the tail doesn’t appear to go high enough IMO. Also the voiding in between the forelegs, on genuine examples it goes into a very crisp upside down ‘V’ where the legs cross, on fakes it’s less crisp and there’s almost a flat edge to it.

I like that it’s a deep strike with thick edges however look at Rockapes post #62 in this thread. A fake with 3 loops also appears very deeply struck.

But devils advocate, why brooch a fake badge? And the traces of braze look to be in correct position for a genuine badge.

Cheers,
Luke
Old 19-05-18, 05:04 PM

I thought I might be crowing a bit too soon - I'll have to check through the various threads etc when I can.
Brooching could always be just another touch of "fake authenticity".
I'll see what it looks like in hand.
Old 20-05-18, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Staistically this should be a very rare badge as it was only worn for 4 years from 1898-02 and then the regt returned to UK and swopped their slouch hats for badgeless pill boxes until they adopted khaki peaked caps with the Danneborg Cross badge in the second half of the decade.

There are lots of fakes of this and this thread shows examples of modern ones. However I have my suspicions that the sheer volume of 'dealer-endorsed genuine' ones suggests that the original dies were used to restrike examples that are now indistinguishable from the few genuine examples that may exist.

It's telling that the 19th Hussar elephant is so much easier to get hold compared to the other QVC Cavalry cap badges.
Old 20-05-18, 10:11 AM

The "old" problem - in the absence of known tells on a badge to indicate a copy genuine age to a piece becomes authenticity.
Old 21-05-18, 05:46 PM

Default 19th hussars

Please see my single scroll 19th PWO. Any opinions on the authenticity?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE7FB886-743C-41D1-AE48-5C965F315A3B.jpg (37.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg E1A51F6E-5EC2-42C8-9954-D9BB56D9AFF1.jpg (39.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 22-05-18, 04:20 PM

The badge I show in post no. 141 is slightly different from others, both genuine and not genuine in this and other threads. Its not from the same die as any of those.
A good point of comparison with other examples of the badge is the crease pattern on the elephants cheek, below the ear. There are other points to compare including the size and shape of the ear, but that cheek crease pattern is the most obvious yay or nay when comparing.
It took a while and I'd just about given up googling examples of the badge when I found a front view of this Dead Spartan offering (I'd found a view of the reverse but it was inconclusive).
What do you reckon, same die? Good or bad?

https://www.deadspartan.co.uk/shop.p...20#prettyPhoto
Old 22-05-18, 07:47 PM

Default Can you help?

OK, I know that this has been asked a million times, but just for my sanity - are these restrikes or genuine. I was given the double scroll by a 16/5 lancer about 25 years ago, who said his dad gave him it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2F12F653-173E-43D5-BBB6-E7A0C2296D38.jpg (35.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 56916713-C25C-4754-9EE9-3E4BC5FDC0FF.jpg (31.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 22-05-18, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmiggy View Post
OK, I know that this has been asked a million times, but just for my sanity - are these restrikes or genuine. I was given the double scroll by a 16/5 lancer about 25 years ago, who said his dad gave him it.
Definitely fake sorry.
Cheers,
Luke
Old 22-05-18, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The badge I show in post no. 141 is slightly different from others, both genuine and not genuine in this and other threads. Its not from the same die as any of those.
A good point of comparison with other examples of the badge is the crease pattern on the elephants cheek, below the ear. There are other points to compare including the size and shape of the ear, but that cheek crease pattern is the most obvious yay or nay when comparing.
It took a while and I'd just about given up googling examples of the badge when I found a front view of this Dead Spartan offering (I'd found a view of the reverse but it was inconclusive).
What do you reckon, same die? Good or bad?

https://www.deadspartan.co.uk/shop.p...20#prettyPhoto
The link doesn’t work for me. I always find it hard to tell from Robbie’s scans... do you mean the nelly with half a tail or the one with its tail raised like its about to poop?
Old 22-05-18, 08:15 PM

Default Post no 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Definitely fake sorry.
Cheers,
Luke
Thanks Luke, any view on the single scroll Nellie at post 149?
Old 22-05-18, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
The link doesn’t work for me. I always find it hard to tell from Robbie’s scans... do you mean the nelly with half a tail or the one with its tail raised like its about to poop?
That's it, the one with the flicked up tail (code 64550), looks like it's the same die as the one I showed.
And now I've seen it the half a tail one too (code 55376), looks like the same die again.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 22-05-18 at 08:45 PM.
Old 22-05-18, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmiggy View Post

Thanks Luke, any view on the single scroll Nellie at post 149?
Not one I’d have in my collection.

From the black colour it appears to have been chemically aged, the voiding between nelly’s tusks and forelegs isn’t as crisp as I’d expect from an original. The tail void doesn’t appear to go high enough or again be crisp enough. Lastly the loops seems to be too high up. Genuine ones I’ve seen are looped lower - see Mike’s in post #137.

Cheers,
Luke
Old 22-05-18, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
That's it, the one with the flicked up tail (code 64550), looks like it's the same die as the one I showed.
And now I've seen it the half a tail one too (code 55376), looks like the same die again.
I was just about to say that. They look identical, but, then again it’s so hard to tell.

Well they both have nice toned black loops that are growing out of the badge (no feet), nice yellow braze. Said loops are also in the accepted correct position... maybe looking good after all?

Tags
19th hussars, double scroll, elephant