British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-10-17, 03:37 PM

Default USAAF or USAF badge.

The attached badge is an old USAAF or USAF officers cap badge, 2 1/2" h. with screw fitting & nut at back.
The reason why I am unsure is that it came to me many long years ago in a framed collection of mainly WW1 & 2 cap badges. , so I have been conditioned to ascribe it to WW2 period.
Then again, it has a backmark in the hollow of the shield: 'LUXENBERG - NEW YORK - MADE IN ENGLAND'. This further strengthened my belief in a wartime provenance.
However while browsing US insignia forums, a similar badge was ascribed to the Korean War (1950s). Flying Tigers Antiques describe is as rare.All web sites featuring Luxenberg badges have nothing but praise for badges by this maker, citing them as highly collectable and gems.
So, having said all that I really would welcome being able to have said badge positively identified and placed in its proper time frame.

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USAAFoffbadge.jpg (45.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 28-10-17, 03:45 PM

From the photo it appears to be silver in color. As opposed to brass colored. if silvered than it would be post WW2/Korean war era when the U.S. Air Force became a separate branch of service. During the war they were part of the US Army "USAAF" later to become "USAF".

Luxenberg is a premium manufacturer of insignia and sought after by many collectors.

Best
Jack
Old 28-10-17, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
From the photo it appears to be silver in color. As opposed to brass colored. if silvered than it would be post WW2/Korean war era when the U.S. Air Force became a separate branch of service. During the war they were part of the US Army "USAAF" later to become "USAF".

Luxenberg is a premium manufacturer of insignia and sought after by many collectors.

Best
Jack
Thanks, Jack.

Badge has been described as 'silver-oxidised'. The back is black.

GTB
Old 28-10-17, 06:13 PM

With a silver finish it is definitely USAF post 1947.
Morry Luxenberg was in fact a taylor with an officer's outfitters in New York I believe. To adorn his uniforms he had insignia made by various manufacturers with his company name on the reverse.

Graham.
Old 28-10-17, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
With a silver finish it is definitely USAF post 1947.
Morry Luxenberg was in fact a taylor with an officer's outfitters in New York I believe. To adorn his uniforms he had insignia made by various manufacturers with his company name on the reverse.

Graham.
Graham you are correct. You will see his officers peaked caps adorned with Luxenberg marked cap badges. WW2 era wings marked Luxenberg are considered some of the finest and highly sought after.

Jack
Old 29-10-17, 09:51 AM

Morry Luxenberg caps are found with a label to the effect that they are Military Outfitters, New York and London England. I would take this to mean that the firm also had premises in London, thereby possibly obviating the need to sub-contract British manufacturers. However, 'Made in England' can have different interpretations.

I have seen the Luxenberg logo impressed on badges and all those I have seen show a script logo. My specimen has a block capitals logo. I wonder if the change in style can signify a specific time-frame?

GTB