British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-09-08, 03:57 AM

Default Diagonal vs horizontal weave

I was fascinated to read in an excellent article by new member Arnhemjim on telling real from fake Airborne insignia (see the thread 'Just what is this?':
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=3361)
the comment:
'Compare on printed patches whether the cloth weave runs diagonally to the print (WWII) versus horizontally (post WWII).'
I hope Jim will pardon my putting this up as a new thread, but I'd like to throw open the discussion on this one. I've had a look through my formation sign collection and haven't been able to find any where I'd call the weave 'horizontal', even on signs for postwar units. Am I missing something? I'm always looking for ways to differentiate insignia, so I'd love to see examples of what this might be from any members of the BBF.
Old 25-09-08, 09:46 PM

Default Diagonal versus Horizontal Printing of Patches

Hi Lettman,
For a good example of what I was talking about regarding orientation of the printing (diagonal vs horizontal) you may want to look at my response to the question from speckled-hen titled 'Pegasus Patch?'in the Airborne, Elite, etc. section of the British Military Insignia part of the forum. I've included two thumbnails of the printed British Airborne Forces Formation Badge, one WWII and one Post-War. Hope they clearly show the difference I was talking about.
Regards,
Jim

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 25-09-08 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Correct spelling and names
Old 25-09-08, 10:53 PM

OK, Jim, that's a good illustration of what you meant. Do you think it applies more generally to postwar signs?
Old 26-09-08, 12:11 AM

Hi lettman,
Really not sure as to consistency with all formation badges, but as you see it does apply to printed Airborne Forces formation badges.
Regards,
Jim
Old 01-11-08, 07:33 PM

Here's an example of a pegasus badge with horizontal weave, as found on a P'49 blouse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001F.jpg (98.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 02-11-08, 12:02 AM

Ah, now I see what you mean -- a great example!
Old 02-11-08, 10:08 AM

The example I showed was on a P'49 blouse, the other Pegasus on that blouse was of WWII "weave across" pattern.