British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-02-18, 02:41 PM

Arnhem,

I think the issue is that most forum members do not have a benchmark on real ones. Airborne red berets have been discussed extensively and knowledge shared. I have seen a few real ones they are quite rare and I am not satisfied I still think the colour is wrong and believe they are somehow bleached or washed. The outside of the berets shows heavy wear but not the badges and lining...

Anyone that wishes to bid has to form his own opinion of course and if they want to spend money on it. Cheerio, JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnhem2280 View Post
Whether or not these are the real thing is a matter of conjecture. Strangely though I have not noticed any comment at all from forum members who are normally very quick to pass comment on items they think are fakes or copies.
I find it difficult to believe they have not noticed the posts and checked the berets out.
Maybe these are the real thing?

Cheers

Arnhem
Old 25-02-18, 04:18 PM

I agree , same thoughts plenty of special forces collectors on here who jump on any thread regarding SAS, LRDG or Popski yet this time nothing ....I personally think they are correct and staining is the result of storage and leather stain bleeding ... but believe the price will go high .
Just my opinion .
Regards
Steve
Old 25-02-18, 05:41 PM

Hi,

Don't know if the berets for sale are genuine or not but here is an interesting portrait showing the beret holes on the left side ...

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archiv...s&lot_id=90569

Best regards .. Herve
Old 25-02-18, 07:33 PM

Default White beret - well.....

Wowzers...well someone just did very very well...i was lucky enough to see the berets and if they are not real then i am martian....they are stunning.....and the back story is brilliant too.......please let them go on display in Hereford...gutted i missed it!
Old 25-02-18, 07:34 PM

Default two beige SAS berets on ebay

Looks like a member on the forum paid over £3,500 for one of the berets. No wonder he didn't make a comment on them!
Old 25-02-18, 07:48 PM

Default berets.

They really are good....the insides are good, badges are not deliberately aged..ill post some close ups....not bleached or tampered with at all natural fading and storage where there was some damp for the ring..the white one is really really white..... same bidder just got the other one for £4100! wow! oh boy..i will post some close ups i got of the badges and inner....well i just saved myself £7000 and the seller is going to have a great holiday! ha! they are fairly ecstatic! i need a whisky....it was good enough to see and hold them! No provenance sadly, house clearance in Midlands.....'in a box' with other hats.....really i kid you not.......
Old 25-02-18, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhath View Post
The Coldstream Guards Officers service dress hat is suspicious too.
The cap star looks like a modern Coldstream Officers Rank pip, and there are two small holes or indentations 4 o’clock and 8 o’clock just above the chin strap - which to me look to be right where the scroll on an RA badge would’ve sat.
I agree with you there Sean.
Andy
Old 25-02-18, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Cassino View Post
They really are good....the insides are good, badges are not deliberately aged..ill post some close ups....not bleached or tampered with at all natural fading and storage where there was some damp for the ring..the white one is really really white..... same bidder just got the other one for £4100! wow! oh boy..i will post some close ups i got of the badges and inner....well i just saved myself £7000 and the seller is going to have a great holiday! ha! they are fairly ecstatic! i need a whisky....it was good enough to see and hold them! No provenance sadly, house clearance in Midlands.....'in a box' with other hats.....really i kid you not.......
Hello
I will be very interested to know how you can say that's inside was good !! You have some references about that? Really badges are not similars to any originals known.... I am very suspicious about them as was JB... Perhaps Steve ASR 142 can give us some good informations ...
Best wishes to everybody
Old 25-02-18, 08:33 PM

well... not doctored!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180222_144448.jpg (61.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 20180222_144615.jpg (71.0 KB, 116 views)
Old 25-02-18, 08:52 PM

more images to come...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180222_145049.jpg (70.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20180222_144515.jpg (70.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 25-02-18, 08:55 PM

the staining looks as how the two berets were stored together one on the other....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180222_144645.jpg (61.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20180222_144759.jpg (63.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 25-02-18, 10:02 PM

....nice....
Old 25-02-18, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marievictor View Post
Hello
I will be very interested to know how you can say that's inside was good !! You have some references about that? Really badges are not similars to any originals known.... I am very suspicious about them as was JB... Perhaps Steve ASR 142 can give us some good informations ...
Best wishes to everybody
They probably just wanted to keep it for themselves.
Andy
Old 25-02-18, 10:34 PM

The lines between who dares wins are red on the first badge. All I saw were
black.......... and sewing thread seems large also...
Old 25-02-18, 11:08 PM

Default Two beige SAS berets on ebay

Very nice berets. I'm pleased for the seller. I bet they had a number of requests for stopping the auction and selling for a much lower price which fortunately for them they resisted. More than I'd be able to pay but quality items (in my opinion) that is.

Arnhem