British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-02-18, 09:48 PM

Default Cadet unit badge

Hello, this is my first post as a new member to the forum!
I am seeking help to identify a badge please, this soldier was KIA in 1917. He was educated in the UK then spent some time in Australia before returning to the UK in 1915 and serving with the Northumberland Fusiliers. I haven't seen a badge like this before but I'm told it is likely a school cadet unit.Any help would be very much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1CCP.jpg (30.6 KB, 120 views)
Old 20-02-18, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Poppy, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 21-02-18, 12:13 AM

I wonder if it is perhaps an Independent Cadet Corps
Old 23-02-18, 04:09 PM

Default 1CCP slouch hat

Hi Poppy.
Great image. I'd like to see the whole photo sometime. This is a slouch hat of the 1st Cinque Ports Rifle Volunteers (later 5th Royal Sussex Regiment) but more specifically of their cadets. The adults wore 1CP and the cadets wore 1CCP presumably standing for 1st Cadets Cinque Ports. The only cadet unit affiliated to them was Eastbourne College Cadet Corps which was formed in 1896. So perhaps your man was an old boy of that school? I've attached an extract from the Cinque Ports Battalion history that is concerned with the introduction of the blue slouch hat and plume just after the Boer War. Also attached is a close up of a 1907 photo of an Eastbourne College cadet wearing khaki service dress with the embroidered white on red shoulder titles 'CP' and '1C'. Not the clearest image but under a magnifying glass you can make them out!
Kind regards, Andrew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0886 (480x640).jpg (52.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0887 (640x480).jpg (110.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 23-02-18, 06:45 PM

The (current) First Cinque Ports Rifle Volunteers Corps of Drums perform at public events and wear the slouch hat and plume.

http://www.cinqueportsdrums.co.uk

Tim
Old 25-02-18, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb63 View Post
Hi Poppy.
Great image. I'd like to see the whole photo sometime. This is a slouch hat of the 1st Cinque Ports Rifle Volunteers (later 5th Royal Sussex Regiment) but more specifically of their cadets. The adults wore 1CP and the cadets wore 1CCP presumably standing for 1st Cadets Cinque Ports. The only cadet unit affiliated to them was Eastbourne College Cadet Corps which was formed in 1896. So perhaps your man was an old boy of that school? I've attached an extract from the Cinque Ports Battalion history that is concerned with the introduction of the blue slouch hat and plume just after the Boer War. Also attached is a close up of a 1907 photo of an Eastbourne College cadet wearing khaki service dress with the embroidered white on red shoulder titles 'CP' and '1C'. Not the clearest image but under a magnifying glass you can make them out!
Kind regards, Andrew.
Hi Andrew,
Wow, thank you so much for that fantastic information-and yes my man did indeed attend Eastbourne College! He attended the college prior to going to Australia, returning to the UK in 1915.
The photo belongs to a friend of mine, if she agrees (and I'm sure she will) I'll send you the whole photo, it's a great image. Thanks again!!
Poppy