British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-03-18, 09:35 PM

Default Can you cast light on these two soldiers?

Greetings,
This is my first post.
I'm attaching a photo of my father (standing) and of his older brother (sitting). My father joined the TA in 1937/38 and served as a regular in the RASC through WW2. I assume that he's wearing a RASC cap badge, but the stripe at the bottom of his left sleeve baffles me.
Can anybody help me to identify his brother's cap badge and unit?
I hope so.
Joseph
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Ted and Syd.jpeg (20.7 KB, 117 views)
Old 08-03-18, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Joseph, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 09-03-18, 01:47 AM

Very small picture. Man standing has a good conduct stripe. Member grumpy would be the person to state for what period of time one stripe would have been for in that period- I suspect TA service counted. Period-as you state- but not much later than 1940 for use of cap and service dress- battledress and Field Service cap mainly replaced this sort of uniform. Regards, Paul.
PS. If employed on driving duties in the UK I would think it a possibility use of this 'smart' uniform might have gone on a bit longer-some infantry were still dressed in service dress at Dunkirk.

Last edited by wardog; 09-03-18 at 02:12 AM.
Old 18-03-18, 04:04 PM

Question Request for help with Unit identification

Thanks: that's a good start. My father was, indeed, on home service during the early part of his service, and didn't go overseas until 1942. I might try generating a bigger picture before posting it again. I'm hoping that somebody might be able to tell me something about the wearing of the lanyard, i.e. does it indicate a particular unit. Ditto the style and arrangement of the buttons on the sitter's tunic. The cap badge looks something like a General Service Corps cap badge, but my reading indicates that this wasn't formed until 1942, when other evidence indicates that this photo was taken in 1940. Help appreciated!