British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-02-18, 02:03 PM

Default No.4 Column, NFS Overseas Contingent.

Hello all, I am attempting some research on the above unit and any help would be appreciated. No.4 Column was the only one of the five columns to see service abroad following D-Day and followed the Army through to Germany. I have found no photographic evidence at all of the unit following it's arrival in France and would be interested in knowing if there is any at all. My main interest is in the equipment and vehicles they used and in the uniforms they wore, for example, did they use standard NFS fire appliances?, did they wear normal NFS uniforms or were they in khaki?, were they armed for self-defence?. There seems to be very little information on them anywhere so I thought I would try the experts on the forum.. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks, Hoot.
Old 08-02-18, 04:34 PM

Smile No.4 Column, NFS Overseas Contingent.

Hoot, my old foreman who I worked with in the early seventies went to France after D-Day as a Fireman, he never said much about it and he's long gone now. I believe he was in London during the Blitz and that is all I can tell you.

Rob
Old 08-02-18, 10:08 PM

Thanks Rob, it seems it's a unit that has gone very much unrecorded, it's a shame really. Still, I'll keep looking, something might turn up somewhere.
Old 09-02-18, 08:00 AM

Have you tried these people, http://fireheritage.org, as good a place to start as any I'd have thought and may be able to put you in touch with someone.
Old 09-02-18, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Have you tried these people, http://fireheritage.org, as good a place to start as any I'd have thought and may be able to put you in touch with someone.
Thanks for that Magpie. I have tried e-mailing them before but for some reason that e-mail address is not recognized. I will try writing to them once I have regained the ability to use a pen.

Last edited by Hoot; 09-02-18 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-02-18, 07:20 PM

I don't know the date of this photo but it shows an NFS Overseas Column being inspected. As you can see they wore both the standard fireman's jacket and blue BD with the shoulder title shown, worn with khaki anklets and Army 1937 pattern webbing. Caps were replaced by berets.

Hope that helps.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NFS Overeas column inspection JM.jpg (91.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg NFS Overseas Shoulder JM.jpg (21.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-02-18, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
I don't know the date of this photo but it shows an NFS Overseas Column being inspected. As you can see they wore both the standard fireman's jacket and blue BD with the shoulder title shown, worn with khaki anklets and Army 1937 pattern webbing. Caps were replaced by berets.

Hope that helps.

Jon
Jon, thanks for that, that is a great image and a very interesting one as well. I am assuming the cap badge backing was red but it looks lighter. I am now a little wiser on the subject, thanks very much.
Old 10-02-18, 08:36 AM

I recorded this book on Ebay some time ago but I imagine it's quite hard to find.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Overseas Column book ebay Oct 2005.jpg (47.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-02-18, 03:49 PM

A search of the Imperial War Museum's online catalogue shows two films of No4 Column, one of it leaving for Europe in January 1945, the other of it returning to Britain in July that year.

Jon
Old 10-02-18, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I recorded this book on Ebay some time ago but I imagine it's quite hard to find.

Jon
What do you make of the badge (or sign) to the left of the 21 Army Group sign? Mike
AFS_No 4 Column.01.jpg
Old 10-02-18, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Jon
Thanks again Jon, definitely one to look out for.