British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-01-18, 02:52 PM

Default 1897-8 43rd / 52nd field service cap badge query

Hello all,
My grandfather served in the Oxfordshire Light Infantry from 1895 to 1898. 1st Bn (43rd) 1895/1897, then 2nd Bn (52nd) 1897/1898, and I would like to source an undress cap badge appropriate to each period if possible.
I understand that the green folding field service cap was worn by the Oxfordshire Light Infantry battalions from 1897, preceded by the glengarry.
Could someone possibly please describe the sort of pattern, lugs, size of badge, and type of metal used on the field service undress caps that he might have worn?
Am I right in thinking that the 1st Bn and 2nd Bn badges of this time would still have showed the 43rd and 52nd insignia?
How likely am I to be able to source an original of each type, or should I just aim for a reasonably priced re-strike.. Where would be the best place to look?
Sorry for so many questions..!
Best regards
Robin