British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-09, 07:07 AM

Default Sarawak Rangers badge info required

Reference the Sarawak Rangers cap badge, can anyone tell me what the background colours were on the navy blue beret, I know the patch had three colours, but I can't remember now.
Old 01-12-09, 12:43 AM

I will see what I can find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur 257 View Post
Reference the Sarawak Rangers cap badge, can anyone tell me what the background colours were on the navy blue beret, I know the patch had three colours, but I can't remember now.
Old 01-12-09, 05:42 PM

Would it have anything to do with the Colony colours?

+ Anthony

Quote:
Attached Images
File Type: gif Sarawak.gif (7.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-12-09, 07:18 PM

Yes, I think it may be Black Yellow Red, but I'm not sure, i remember seeing it once when I was in Malaya in 1959, but my memory is hazy.
Old 03-12-09, 08:23 AM

Concur, although I thought the yellow was more gold.

www.uniformsotw.com
Old 08-12-09, 10:41 AM

I asked a veteran last night who was a Sgt in the Manchesters (he is in a group photo I have of Sarawak rangers 1953). He said "originally the Sarawak Rangers badge backing was L - R* Red(Scarlet), Yellow and Black ; it came secured/sewn* to the khaki beret. Similarly the original Iban Trackers were inclined to wear the berets and badges of the units to which they were attached as can be seen in one of those earlier photographs of some of our trackers at Kroh - in our case (Manchesters) a blue one with black leather sweatband. Those with the Marines may have had the Green ones and those with Scottish Regiments may have worn the Tam o' Shanters."

Quote:
Old 08-12-09, 01:10 PM

Thank you very much for clearing this up, I am researching an Order of Battle book on the Malayan Emergency 1948 -1960, its been an ongoing project for more than 6 years. This info will hep enormously.
Old 09-12-09, 10:41 PM

OMG! That means I was right! *thud* <-- sorry, just falling on floor there!

+ Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumua View Post
I asked a veteran last night who was a Sgt in the Manchesters (he is in a group photo I have of Sarawak rangers 1953). He said "originally the Sarawak Rangers badge backing was L - R* Red(Scarlet), Yellow and Black ; it came secured/sewn* to the khaki beret. Similarly the original Iban Trackers were inclined to wear the berets and badges of the units to which they were attached as can be seen in one of those earlier photographs of some of our trackers at Kroh - in our case (Manchesters) a blue one with black leather sweatband. Those with the Marines may have had the Green ones and those with Scottish Regiments may have worn the Tam o' Shanters."
Old 09-12-14, 11:11 PM

I was an officer in the Sarawak Rangers during the emergency and I can tell you exactly why the colours behind the badge were Black, Yellow and Red. In the middle there was a vertical yellow stripe 12mm wide. This yellow stripe represented the traditional colours of the Rajah of Sarawak and is the main colour on the flag. On the left of this yellow stripe is a 30mm black stripe representing mourning for those Ibans who died and on the right there was a 30mm stripe of red representing the blood shed by the dead. The losses referred originally to the inter-tribal and inter-long house battles and then came to represent the soldiers of the Sarawak Rangers. The Motto is "Agi idup agi ngelaban" which is "While there is life there is fight" The motto of the Rajah Brook family was "While there is life there is hope" but this was not considered sufficiently warlike for the Sarawak Rangers
Old 11-12-14, 10:13 PM

Welcome to the forum Mike. Your input is most welcome.

Garry