British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-02-09, 05:36 PM

Default NCO badge R.H.C. WW1?

Who knows if the WW1 era NCO royal highlanders of canada(13th, 42nd or 73rd) wore the British/empire NCO Royal Highlanders badge? This one is LACESSIT with an I written.

well hope to here and sorry that I don't have mutch time this day's hope soon whill tanch.

Cheers,

Hans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NCO B.W.badge.V.jpg (29.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg NCO badge.A.jpg (30.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 23-02-09, 07:06 PM

Hans, it is speculated that NCOs of the 42nd and 73rd may have worn Imperial pattern (NCO) badges. Certainly, officers did. However, I personally think that if this was the case, that it was very limited in practice.

I think collectors sometimes tend to forget that obtaining a new badge wasn't necessarily top on the list of a soldier's priorities whilst serving... If it were done I would speculate that NCOs at depots and schools would have been more likely to obtain "NCO pattern" badges.

Remember, too, that the balmoral with the Red Hackle, and no badge became the predominant RHC headdress in mid-1916...

In any case I think it is plausible but have no evidence to either confirm or deny...will keep eyes peeled for photographic evidence.

Adam
Old 23-02-09, 07:07 PM

Forgot to mention...that I would consider the badge you have pictured above to be an officer pattern as it's silver and gilt. NCO would usually be gilding metal and white metal, or similar.

Nice badge though, appears to be a Gaunt made type. Any "P" or "S" mark on the back?
Old 23-02-09, 08:07 PM

Thanks Bill A(agian),

Well it's a three pieces badge, and ther are no marker.

Is it posible that it is written I and not E, that it is or cane be malitia btyp for the 73rd RHC becase the 42nd have LACESSET with a E?
Old 23-02-09, 08:21 PM

sorry ADAM H;-).
Old 23-02-09, 11:15 PM

Hoi Hans, hoe gaat het?

Bill!?...Ik niet!

I don't know that the "E" vs. "I" is such a hard and fast rule when it comes to the Canadian-worn badges. I have examples of the "bronze" badge worn by the 42nd/73rd CEF with both spellings.

I would think that the men would have worn whatever was supplied by the RQ. It's more than likely that several purchases of bronze badges were made, possibly from different suppliers. So I would not be surprised if there are a few variants with different dies, different spellings.

As for the officers/NCOs, these badges tend to vary considerably. There were a large number of different types of Black Watch officer badges available for purchase from different manufacturers/jewellers. I have exquisite silver and gilt multi-piece badges...down to 2 piece "el-cheapo" types, and a fair number in between. I think it all came down to what was available when the officer needed a badge, and how much he wished to spend...

Dag ik zie je later!

Adam
Old 24-02-09, 06:48 AM

Hoi Adam,

Ok thanks that is information what I need.

And to make sure:

British O.R.'s of the R.H. worn the white metal badge only, and canadians worn the brass type.

And the did't worn the black silk(from the glengarry) or the tartan behind the badge during WW1(or WW2).

Becase I like to make this clear for my self for once, becase I see to manny fariations sold with in special glengarry's WW2 era with the black silk or tartans behind the badge. And canadian WW2 RHC glens how are diced?

Well sorry for all the questions, but I like to have it correct.

Vriendelijke groet,

Hans
Old 24-02-09, 01:09 PM

Hi Hans,

The forum membership appears to have info that the Black Watch badge is bronze was never worn by anyone except the RHC (42nd and 73rd CEF, specifically).

Prior to this it was my understanding that the RHC bought these badges from existing stock. I thought it was unusual that they would commission bronze Black Watch badges for their own use, but it's possible. There is even some suggestion that the first order of badges were obsolete Victorian examples that were available. I have seen no evidence of this, but again, it's a possibility.

I should have also made clear that it's believed that NCOs of the RHC wore British pattern Black Watch NCO badges in the 1919-1930 period. I think it is more likely than a NCO of the 42nd/73rd wearing these during the war. All the photos I have seen seem to suggest this was the case.

Adam