British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-04-12, 11:24 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Dave,
I doubt if Peter has taken anything for gospel from the curator of the museum, he doesn’t even know who Peter is.

Besides, it is clear that a lot (but not all) of the information Peter imparts on here is fantasy. It’s easy to go back and highlight the many posts that have been proven to be wrong or where there has been a refusal to provide photos or other evidence to back up what has been said.

A point in case is this very thread where the comment was made that "There was no Y&L band after 1939" (which was disproved by a simple link to a picture of the band in 1966). I notice that Peter's post has now been edited to read "There were no band helmets after 1939 only caps". Another example of trying to cover tracks and back peddling after making fantasised comments.

Peter, do you really believe that people fall for your tall stories and the way you constantly change your information every time anyone questions it or proves you are talking nonsense? You may think that people haven’t noticed the way you manipulate information (other people may have a stronger word for it) but believe me, they do notice, maybe they are just too polite or scared to say anything.

Andy,
I know nothing about Hussars badges but if you say that the badge was dodgy, I believe your experience and knowledge and it’s a shame that a collector somewhere has been taken in. Gloating about ripping someone off just shows how few scruples some people have.

Ivan
Ivan,
I think deep down Peter knew it was not right as well! Which makes his gloating even more appauling. I would not lower my standards to buy from a dealer with a poor track record, as this, I feel just encourages them!

Andy
Old 13-04-12, 12:42 PM

I am not taking sides here, please note that before reading on.

There are many reasons why people buy things, maybe Peter's buyer just liked the badge for what it is and could afford the price. If the buyer is happy isn't that the main thing? Thats even more the case if the buyer had read forum member's comments (good and bad) and made their mind up to buy anyway.

This thread was started about HPs and has ended up being about Peter, hes not a helmet plate lads

No offence intended,

Phil
Old 13-04-12, 01:47 PM

No offence taken Phil and I appreciate your impartiality.

As I started the thread, I have no problem with it diverting slightly away from helmet plates as the comments made illustrates something that has niggled me for a while.

By and large, the majority of people I have dealt with (and met) on the forum are decent, honest and scrupulous people. The forum is as most people would agree, a fantastic resource for finding out about badges and of course for learning more about what is a vast and diverse hobby. I can honestly say I have been educated.

Whilst I have no problem with people who dispute someone's theory, or details about a particular badge or even if a badge is real or not, I appreciate and accept that we all have our own opinions.

What really gets me is when people go out of their way to bluff others then when they are corrected, to try to cover their tracks so they don't look stupid.

I think most of us can spin a harmless tall tale or two but I think I know the difference between dishonesty and tall tales. For example, some of the shoulder titles 'found' THIS WEEK at Barnsley market were in fact offered for sale to a dealer LAST WEEK. Good honest people on this forum may have been taken in by this supposed amazing find had concerns not been raised. This, along with Peter's gloating on this thread about selling a badge that may have been fake says much about scruples.

It is well know that I am willing to stand up to Peter (and his now banned friend) but personally, I won't buy anything from someone who has an aversion to be honest, but that’s my privilege based on my opinion and my experience.

Now, does anyone have any different views on that crown on the Y&L helmet plate?

Ivan
Old 13-04-12, 04:25 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Yes mate, it's a nice crown !!!!

Dave.

I'm making one little addition to what you have written, no more afterwards because the last time I aired my opinions, it nearly cost me a friendship and I don't want that.

We all like to gain bargains, I have had quite a few lately and I'm not talking about sellers like Keith, Malcolm or even Andy, I have had some lovely items from dealers, Paul L, David S, Geoff N and Rod F.

As for Peter, following the ' bust up ' a couple of years ago over the sale of a brass " Economy Issue " Black Watch badge for a lot of money, just about every one knows my feelings.

I now talk to him, I have repaired badges for him and despite the fact he has quite a few items I would like, I will never buy from him, neither is it my business who does buy from him, that's for them to decide, plenty of advice has been offered and if not taken, well, what can I say ??

If this thread causes offence and it is not meant to, tough, that's how I feel and no-one can make me feel any other way.

Dave.
Old 13-04-12, 05:01 PM

Fair enough Dave, can't argue with that!

Oh and thanks, I think its a nice crown too!

Ivan
Old 14-04-12, 09:44 PM

Re Y&L helmet plate ,i suspect this was worn by the band/corps of drums I have a number of these to various regiments in my albums.Only have seen Q.V.C and Q.C eg queens lancs 1 named to bandsman,cheshire reg issued to the regiment in Hong Kong Due to my lack of computer skills i am unable to post these here but as stated many examples in the albums Regards David
Old 15-04-12, 06:19 AM

Thanks very much David, I think the consensus is a bandsman’s helmet plate.

Another one to correct in the Y&L museum when they finish their move in the summer!

Ivan