British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-09-14, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFMartin View Post
So other than the ranks, will qualification badges such as pilot wings be changed to a different color as well?
Good question, and that has probably not been decided yet. If so will that mean that there will be 2 styles of badges in the system? For example I know many soldiers who were employed as door gunners on the helicopters in Afghanistan, will they still wear gold aircrew badges while the RCAF switch to a new colour? Will that mean the army and RCN will switch to the RCAF style, or will we produce 2 or 3 types of the same badge, different for each service? It will be interesting to see the long term effects.
Old 02-10-14, 10:32 PM

Default Thanks - great primary source information

Thank you for posting this thread, with original source documentation for us all to cut, paste, and file.

Shootemup, Servie Pub, and Michael Dorosh have all effectively summarised the arguments in favour of these changes, and the arguments against the "but-why-don't-they-buy-bullets-instead" camp.

A fairly substantial percentage of the military make noises about how they "hate" medals and ribbons and ceremony, yet secretly appreciate and value such things, particularly after they are retired. A good indication of this is how the crappy chrome versions of cap badges my unit made in the 1990s all seemed to get "accidentally" broken when a new and much more attractive version were purchased by the regiment in the early 2000s.
Old 03-10-14, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seathanaich View Post
Thank you for posting this thread, with original source documentation for us all to cut, paste, and file.

Shootemup, Servie Pub, and Michael Dorosh have all effectively summarised the arguments in favour of these changes, and the arguments against the "but-why-don't-they-buy-bullets-instead" camp.

A fairly substantial percentage of the military make noises about how they "hate" medals and ribbons and ceremony, yet secretly appreciate and value such things, particularly after they are retired. A good indication of this is how the crappy chrome versions of cap badges my unit made in the 1990s all seemed to get "accidentally" broken when a new and much more attractive version were purchased by the regiment in the early 2000s.
I think you have summarized the main problem: "yet secretly appreciate and value such things, particularly after they are retired". Ex-service personnel making decisions on dress long after they retire. They were probably the most vocal "haters" in the first place, and have just forgotten what they had to endure as they collect their VA pension for all the wear and tear on their bodies caused by all the bad kit the CF bought over the years. Again, I am tired of having to watch my young soldiers buy kit because the CAF can't be bothered to use their limited resources wisely. Look at the speed in which new rank has been implemented, yet the rank and file have been begging for a new Tac-vest for a decade. I probably have a dozen pair of boots, but I am only allowed to wear one pair because the chain of command won't allow me to wear any of the non black boots they have issued me over the years (JBs, deserts, etc). My solution, I had to go buy a pair of boots at my own expense downtown, but if I injure myself while wearing them I won't be covered, yet they can't issue me, or replace the one pair I have because they are "out of stock". I am all for tradition, but not at the cost of my soldiers health.
Old 06-10-14, 03:13 PM

RCAF GUIDANCE ON NEW UNIFORM AND RANK TITLE
UNCLASSIFIED

AS PART OF THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA S ONGOING RESTORATION OF THE DISTINCTIVE SERVICE CULTURES THAT MAKE UP THE CANADIAN ARMED FORCES, THE ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE (RCAF) HAS BEEN GRANTED A NEW UNIFORM AND RANK TITLE ENHANCING THE IDENTITY OF CANADA S YOUNGEST MILITARY BRANCH

THE AIM OF THIS CANFORGEN IS TO PROVIDE GUIDANCE TO MILITARY AND CIVILIAN PERSONNEL OF THE RCAF ON THE ROLL OUT OF THE NEW UNIFORM AND RANK TITLE

ON 21 SEPTEMBER, THE MINISTER OF NATIONAL DEFENCE INTRODUCED A NEW RANK TITLE CALLED AVIATOR. THIS TERM REPLACES PRIVATE AND SHALL BE USED AS OF 1 APRIL 2015 IN THE DAILY DUTY LANGUAGE OF ALL RCAF PERSONNEL ADDRESSING THIS RANK

NO ADDITIONAL CHANGES WILL BE MADE TO THE CURRENT RANK STRUCTURE TITLES OF THE RCAF. RANK NAMES, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF PRIVATE, WILL REMAIN THE SAME

IN RECOGNITION OF THE 90TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FOUNDING OF THE RCAF, RANK INSIGNIA BUTTONS AND NATIONAL SHOULDER TITLES FOR BOTH OFFICERS AND NON COMMISSIONED MEMBERS WILL RETURN TO A DISTINCTIVE PEARL GREY STITCHING, THE ORIGINAL COLOUR WORN BY RCAF NON COMMISSIONED MEMBERS UNTIL 1968

GENERAL OFFICERS HEADDRESS PIPING (EMBROIDERY) WILL CHANGE FROM GOLD COLOURED TO PEARL GREY. TUNIC AND WEDGE CAP BUTTONS, AS WELL AS BELT BUCKLES WILL CHANGE FROM GOLD TO SILVER

NEW RANK AND INSIGNIA ITEMS WILL ENTER THE SUPPLY SYSTEM COMMENCING MARCH 2015. IT IS PLANNED THAT PEARL GREY EPAULETTES, ALONG WITH A NEW SILVER BELT AND SILVER WEDGE CAP BUTTONS FOR SUMMER WEAR, WILL BE MAILED TO EACH MEMBER BY LOGISTIC UNICORPS. AT THE SAME TIME, TUNIC INSIGNIA WILL BE DISTRIBUTED BY LOGISTIC UNICORPS TO SUPPLY DEPOTS AND TAILORING SHOPS. TAILORING OF TUNICS WILL COMMENCE IN APRIL 2015. MORE DETAILS ON THE DISTRIBUTION OF RANK AND INSIGNIA WILL FOLLOW

IT IS EXPECTED THAT ALL RCAF MEMBERS WILL BE DRESSED IN NEW PATTERN INSIGNIA COLOURS BY THE ANNIVERSARY OF THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN IN SEPTEMBER 2015

RANK AND INSIGNIA HAS BEEN DESIGNED TO MATCH THE PRESENT RANK THUS ENABLING THE CONTINUED USE OF EXISTING TUNICS. MEMBERS WILL NOT BE REQUIRED TO UTILIZE THEIR CLOTHING POINTS FOR INITIAL ISSUE OF THESE NEW ITEMS (IE BELT, GO WEDGE)
Old 06-10-14, 07:22 PM

As an outsider who saw the Canadian Army tear itself to pieces when the common uniform was first introduced I can only watch all this in wonder. To say that morale was low then is a major understatement. Of course the "buttons and bows" matter! And of course traditions are important - no make that vital - in making the machine work. The present nonsense has been 40 years in coming and could have been foreseen back whenever. Suck it up and rejoice that somebody has at last exhibited some common sense!

We had a Canadian exchange officer serving in our Air Troop when this was all going on and I remember how pleased he was that he at least could continue to wear his old army uniform for the balance of his three year tour! After which he resigned and joined the Army Air Corps.

Eddie