British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-12-23, 03:59 PM

Came across this post by accident and can add some detail.

There was an OTC detachment at Wandsworth School as my father served in it the late 1920s. The photo shows him in service dress, Sadly the image is not clear enough to show the cap badge detail which might just be the badge which started this thread, I'll see if I can get a clearer scan.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad OTC Photo.jpg (35.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 31-12-23, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

In 1916 the Wandworth Cadet company was affiliated to the 23rd Londons but your father's badge is not theirs.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-12-31 17.04.22.png (29.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-01-24, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

In addition the original name of the Wandsworth Grammar school was Wandsworth Technical Institute (as shown in Peter's screen shot above of the 1915 units) which still had a small cadet corps in the mid 20's as can be seen in this old school magazine.

http://wandsworthschool.byethost9.co...ndsdocs13.html

They have close links to the 23rd Londons as did the other cadet corps in the area.

In 1927 the Tech was renamed to Wandsworth School. This is their War Memorial https://www.old-wandsworthians-trust...sworth-school/
which features the Wandsworth cost of arms.

With the photo of the Wandsworth cadet it seems likely to me that the badge is that of the cadet corps but without a date it is unclear whether this was used in the 20's instead of the 23rd London's badge or in 1930 when funding was withdrawn.