British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-11-08, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=013

I could not help be amazed at this price. It is not in K&K Vol 2. It bears the same arms as the Wandsworth Pals but is either a cadet badge not shown in K&K, a VTC badge (again unrecorded and unlikely as K&K shows 2 examples for Wandsworth) or a municipal badge and not military at all?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...tryGB%26sa%3DN

The arms of that of Wandsworth Borough Council. Therefore is this the local Emmanuel School OTC or a very expensive Council employees badge?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg otc.jpg (24.9 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 06-01-24 at 10:16 AM.
Old 30-11-08, 03:31 PM

Smile Wandsworth OTC badge

As a collector of local OTC badges, (I don't live in London) the buyer is in my opinion an experienced collector/dealer who sells badges on ebay which are, as he says 100% original.
This may well have been the badge he needed to fill a gap in his collection, it is not a badge that I crave for, but if that's your gap filler, then buy it. We only pass this way once, so treat yourself, life's short . . !
Old 30-11-08, 07:43 PM

Some Wandsworth Cadet units mentioned in Rawlings and in Westlake ( Territorial Force Cadet units 1910-1922) including interesting references to WANDSWORTH SCOTTISH CADET CORPS but nothing that positively identifies this badge. Look forward to see if anyone can add anything.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 30-11-08, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

A further check of K&K Vol 2 shows that it is not the Wandsworth based Emmanuel School as their OTC badge was considerably different. It does not look Scottish in any way and the sldier is all wrong for Scottish headgear of course.

Best bet seems to be Wandsworth Grammar School. I can as yet find no record of an School OTC though.

Alan
Old 30-11-08, 07:52 PM

Alan,
I did not think for one moment it was anything to do with the Wandsworth Scottish, I was just very interested to learn that there was such a unit .
Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 01-12-08, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
A further check of K&K Vol 2 shows that it is not the Wandsworth based Emmanuel School as their OTC badge was considerably different. It does not look Scottish in any way and the sldier is all wrong for Scottish headgear of course.

Best bet seems to be Wandsworth Grammar School. I can as yet find no record of an School OTC though.

Alan
These were the exact searches I carried out when the badge was first listed as I thought it to be a Wandsworth VTC. There are two similiar and I would be very suprised to find the borough had three different. Spencer Park school is another possibility but whether of not it was Grammar or even existed at the time is another matter.

I'd like to think it's a municipal badge just so the buyer (also an ebay dealer/seller) has got stung for not doing the research!
Old 01-12-08, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

I agree about the VTC badge. It is most unusual for there to have been 2 patterns and both of those state VTc in their design. The chances of there being a third type are remote.

I have looked through all of the stuff on line about the Grammar School, including a prospectus advertsiing its facilities, and can find no record of an OTC. 8th Foot furnished me with an article on OTCs written at the time of their existance pre-war and there is no mention of it either. The article did say that it did not show some small OTCs mind you.

The possibility that it was a tramways or some sort of municipal badge is seeming to be getting stronger.

I don not have the chapter on OTCs in Reginald Coxes book - can anyone confirm that it is not shown in Coxes book at all?

Alan
Old 01-12-08, 01:47 PM

Alan I confirm it is not in Cox.
Mark
Old 01-12-08, 03:48 PM

Default Wandsworth badge

Original post edited by self as I was rather stating the obvious. Sufficient to say I tend to agree with the school of thought which suggests this may be a municipal badge.

Regards

John

Last edited by johnG; 01-12-08 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Original posting a bit irrelevant.
Old 01-12-08, 05:10 PM

This is a fascinating thread and I hope we can eventualy positively the item ( echo`s of the Manchester Tram badge stir at the back on ones memory )

It does raise a number of other questions, I am sure that this badge has nothing to do with the Wandsworth Scottish Cadets but I do wonder what badge they wore ? Were they affilitated to the London Scottish perhaps and wore their badges ?

Is it worth contacting the buyer ( if that is possible ) and asking him what he thinks he has bought ?

This is what the hobby ( and the Forum ) is all about .

P.B.

Old 01-12-08, 05:42 PM

14 bids and a selling price of £160. I'd say somebody knew what it was! And, the buyer is a regular badge seller on wickedBay. Is Emerson a member here? Perhaps he could tell us.
Old 01-12-08, 06:48 PM

I dont know Emerson personally although I have bought items from him in the past through E.B..
I am sure we will all look with interest to see if the items appears for sale in the near future and to see ( if that happens ) what it is described as .

If I can add a couple more bits of info.

Attached is a list of the Wandsworth units listed in Westlake " Territorial Force Cadet Units "

Also in an article in Crown Imperial ( No 95 Summer 1999) on The Veteran and National Reserve by Johm McKenzie the author states " Although the NR was not a uniformed body..there is in existance a certain number of cap badges..........." Going on to discuss lapel badges he says " with the help of collectors I have been able to record and describe approx 160 different items and 20 of the 29 London Boroughs

Could this be another possibility ?

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9137.jpg (26.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 05-01-24 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-12-08, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
If I can add a couple more bits of info.

Attached is a list of the Wandsworth units listed in Westlake " Territorial Force Cadet Units "

Also in an article in Crown Imperial ( No 95 Summer 1999) on The Veteran and National Reserve by Johm McKenzie the author states " Although the NR was not a uniformed body..there is in existance a certain number of cap badges..........." Going on to discuss lapel badges he says " with the help of collectors I have been able to record and describe approx 160 different items and 20 of the 29 London Boroughs

Could this be another possibility ?

P.B.
Cadets is certainly another possibility. The Bosleys postal auction before last featured two badges to cadet units affiliated to London Regiments (19th St Pancras & 10th Hackney) which bore little resemblance to their parent units. Could this badge possibly be a cadets of the 23rd London? The Bosleys items sold for around £70 each.

Not the best of scans but I hope I've attached it okay.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bosley%27s%20Cadets.jpg (80.5 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 05-01-24 at 05:24 PM.
Old 31-12-23, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
This is a fascinating thread and I hope we can eventualy positively the item ( echo`s of the Manchester Tram badge stir at the back on ones memory )

It does raise a number of other questions, I am sure that this badge has nothing to do with the Wandsworth Scottish Cadets but I do wonder what badge they wore ? Were they affilitated to the London Scottish perhaps and wore their badges ?

Is it worth contacting the buyer ( if that is possible ) and asking him what he thinks he has bought ?

This is what the hobby ( and the Forum ) is all about .

P.B.
Peter,
Army List 1919 shows that they were indeed affiliated to the 14th Londons.

I have found this picture of a Wandsworth Scottish badge.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-12-31 11.21.00.png (54.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-12-31 11.29.19.png (25.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 31-12-23 at 11:30 AM.
Old 31-12-23, 11:30 AM

I had been under the impression for many years the below was the Wandsworth Scottish Cadets badge?

Edit: just noticed this is a thread from 2008.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0769.jpeg (66.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0770.jpeg (60.9 KB, 11 views)