British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-07-08, 06:48 PM

Default Scottish Victorian Artillery Prize Insignia

Badge 1. The Scottish National Artillery Association was formed in 1883 with the expressed aim of encouraging enrolment in Volunteer Artillery units and improving their proficiency.
They held an annual camp at Barry Buddon in Forfarshire, at which one of the main events comprised competitions for a variety of prizes with teams from all over Scotland and the north of England taking part.
Among the prizes awarded would have been one for the highest aggregate score over several of the individual competitions – the winning unit usually received a cup or trophy of some sort, while individual members of the team were awarded a special arm badge. These badges were embroidered in gold and silver wire.
Presumably the records of the association (if they survive) would indicate who the prize winners were in 1895, but I can find no indication that the records have survived.

Fob Watch Prize 2.– The MVA on the scroll almost certainly stands for Midlothian Artillery Volunteers. Formed in 1859 as the Midlothian Coast Artillery Volunteer Corps, the ‘Coast’ was dropped from the title in 1888. Position (or heavy) artillery was one of the categories competed for by these volunteer artillery units from 1888, and in 1895 separate competitions were held for garrison and position artillery, prizes and badges/medals were awarded for each category. Presumably this medallion was awarded for success in just such a competition.

These 2 items are in my collection and were offered to me a few years back, they had come with a medal group purchased by a medal collector who had no need of them, needless to say I was overjoyed to take them off his hands.
Both came in their original makers boxes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Scottish Badge 2.jpg (81.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Scottish Badge 6.jpg (80.4 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 09-07-08 at 07:15 PM.
Old 16-07-08, 01:24 PM

Hey Brian, Thanks for showing them. Great items!