British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-06-18, 06:52 PM

Default RATA medal awarded to soldier in 1906

Hello all

I hoped somebody might be able to shed some light on the attached images.

The soldier in question's granddaughter recently came across a medal (see attached photos of the front and back), which is a bit of a mystery. It is inscribed:

[front]
RATA

[back]
S.A. Trophy Winners 1906

S. Harris
5th Battn.
Manchester
Regt.

I'm sure that 'RATA' must be the Royal Army Temperance Association. I have searched online for clues, but haven't been able to ascertain what the medal was awarded for - I assumed that Harris must have been part of a sporting team, or some other competitive activity. The 'S.A.', I assume, might be 'South Africa', given that I know he was serving there during 1906.

Harris attested for service with the militia in December 1904, serving with the 3rd Notts & Derby Regiment, under the name 'Samuel Harris'. In May 1905, he attested for service with the Manchester Regiment (regimental number 481) at Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire (TNA ref. WO97/5055/49). During 1906, he served in South Africa for several months. In January 1907, he was discharged at his own request with a view to enlisting with the Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery, which doesn't appear to have happened.

I wondered if you might have come across such a medal before and know what it was awarded for.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HarrisSamuel_001.jpg (68.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg HarrisSamuel_002.jpg (62.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-06-18, 07:20 PM

SRJ,

I dont believe its a Temperance Medal, I have collected them and have books on them.

Never are the letters ATA or RATA engraved like that.

I am more inclined to see it as a sporting medal and that in fact it reads RAFA, the FA being Football Association.

The RA could be a Regimental designation or even a placename.

The 5th Militia Bn. The Manchester Regiment were in South Africa only upto 1902 and DEFINATELY not there in 1906. You need to recheck his record.

I further think that the designation SA refers to something other than South Africa, such as Sports, Sergeants etc etc.

Nice medal none the less and as a collector of all things Manchester Regiment one which I would buy if it was ever for sale.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 05-06-18, 07:55 PM

Hello Simon

Thanks for your insight on this. Although the medal is inscribed '5th Battn.', the service papers state that he was posted to the 3rd Battalion in March 1906, and served in South Africa from March-November 1906. He was posted to the 2nd Battalion in December 1906 and was discharged at his own request in January 1907.

Given the inscription, my first thought was football.

Kind regards
Old 05-06-18, 08:30 PM

SRJ,

Yes the 3rd Regular Bn were there then.

Dont know why it says the 5th though?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges