British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-02-09, 04:24 PM

Default Natal Carbineers

Does anybody have an interest in the Natal Carbineers, if so please contact me as I have a story to tell of my meeting with a group of rather ancient ex officers of that regiment in 1966. They were magnificent and the memory remains with me still.

Last edited by johnG; 09-02-09 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-02-09, 04:36 PM

Hi John, I'm always keen to hear any good bits about Natal units. Regards Andrew
Old 10-02-09, 10:27 AM

Default Natal Carbineers

Hi Andrew. I have sent you a PM as I did not want to use personal names on an open forum.
Regards,

John
Old 11-04-10, 09:55 AM

Hi John

I would be very interested in your info on the Carbineers. Im compiling folders for the NC Musuem on serving members 1855-1955. Any info you have would be very much appreciated

Regards

Izabel
Old 11-04-10, 08:46 PM

Default Natal Carbineers

Hi Izabel,

In 1967 I had the great pleasure of week ending on the Mooi River farm of Col. McKenzie, one time CO of the Natal Carbineers. On the Saturday evening I sat on the stoep for sundowners with some elderly gentlemen, one -who was well advanced in age - was called 'Boy'. Explanation was they were old old officers of Natal Carbineers and the gentleman referred to as 'Boy' had been a junior subaltern in their day, so was still, many years later called 'Boy', and he loved it, having later risen to considerably higher rank I believe. What wonderful men they were, for whom the mould has now been broken, they just don't come like that any more.
Sadly I think I might have offended the Colonel, as looking for something to do on the Sunday I repaired a big brass lock on a toilet door. I thought I had done well but Col McKenzie told me in a very stern and disaproving voice "That lock has been broken since I weas a boy". Did he mean it, or was he being facetious? I will never know. But what a lovely week end.
A great regiment and great men who served in it.
Old 10-10-11, 09:33 PM

Hello John, I posted a picture today of a flash that may be a Natal Carbineers pagri badge, Have you seen it before? Regards Kevin
Old 11-10-11, 12:16 AM

Hi John,

a nice story and thanks for sharing it. Some of these Natal regiments are very old. Like your elderly gentlemen.

Iain
Old 11-10-11, 07:18 AM

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for delay but I have only now seen your post, and sorry once again, I have absolutely no knowledge of their badges, my only contact with the regiment having been meeting long retired officers and their families. Happy days, and memories of their justifiable pride in their old regiment, which remain with me over fifty years later.
Regards,
John
Old 11-10-11, 10:59 AM

Thankyou John i think i will leave it a short time and then re post the picture, regards Kevin.