British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-08-13, 05:41 PM

Default Syria

Not wishing to get into a discussion on the rights or wrongs of what is happening inside Syria, I do wonder both why Dave Cameron thinks that Great Britain should be the country to take the lead and how this country is going to provide the military forces to take action when we seem to be in the process of drastically reducing the size of our full time forces and cutting back on public expenditure generally.

Like in the case of Afghanistan, when you look at the history of the region you do wonder if there can ever be a solution to the problems in this part of the world.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-08-13, 06:12 PM

Stay out. It's an Ex French colony; let them impersonate a Bull in a china shop.

As Colin Powell said " you break it, you fix it". Dread to think what bills we still have in fixing Iraq......
Old 28-08-13, 06:52 PM

I say send the TA in, they seem to be growing in size. And then let the Regular Army pick and choose if they want to go.
Old 28-08-13, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
I say send the TA in, they seem to be growing in size. And then let the Regular Army pick and choose if they want to go.
I'm sure Group4 are more than capable
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 28-08-13, 07:19 PM

I thought the day of being the global Policeman was over for GB, I think it's time to realize that and leave it to the Yanks. I don't see the German's or the rest of Europe running to pitch in.
Old 28-08-13, 07:23 PM

Default syria

personally i think we should sort ourselves out first before trying to be a global power which sadly we are not anymore maybe the swiss might like to have a go at sorting this mess out
Old 28-08-13, 07:41 PM

Nah, they have the right idea.....keep their heads down and make money.
Old 28-08-13, 07:46 PM

It may be a coincidence, or the channel I am watching but there appears to be a lot of armed forces recruiting adverts on the box tonight.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-08-13, 07:49 PM

It hasn't changed since 1914 onwards. Need to fill the ranks with the young and impressionable to fight in a foreign field......and as in Iraq; for no gain.

Oh well there was a gain, Tony Blair made a killing........how many house's does he have again.
Old 28-08-13, 08:33 PM

Whatever happened to the "Send a Gunboat Brigade"?

I seem to remember rather a lot of them when I first started collecting things military.

Pleased to see that even we have learned from the waste and futility of recent wars.

These people are very brave with the lives of young kids. Put Cameron & Blair & William Hague in the first wave and see how keen they are to fight then.
Old 28-08-13, 08:36 PM

I just bought this poster from 1915........puts it in perspective really. This was to raise funds for the wounded coming home......I mean it hasn't changed much. The Brit government can't even cope with the PTSD and casualties from the two fiasco's to date.

I was told by a high ranking vet of the Iraq campaign. "Iraq will go down as a glorious defeat"

Say's it all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915 POSTER.jpg (38.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 28-08-13, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
It hasn't changed since 1914 onwards. Need to fill the ranks with the young and impressionable to fight in a foreign field......and as in Iraq; for no gain.

Oh well there was a gain, Tony Blair made a killing........how many house's does he have again.
Interesting to see how many politicians and big businesses seem to come out of these situations with considerably more wealth than when they went into them
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 28-08-13, 08:44 PM

Yes. I Skype my mom and dad every week and he always comes into the conversation.

They just donated to an Independent MP's (use to be a Labour chap) call for funds to do a total expose documentary on Blair.

For me Blair should have been horse whipped from Parliament. A liar and a profiteer.

They should work out from his rapidly growing fortune, what he got for each body bag from Iraq and Afghanistan.
Old 28-08-13, 08:46 PM

Also, it amazes me that isn't he some sort of peacemaker diplomat for the Middle East on god knows what salary....doesn't seem to be doing a good job.

Actually, I think he is in the South of France at the moment; lording it up with the industrialists who sold the weapons.
Old 28-08-13, 08:48 PM

It makes you want to cry, when I saw recently on Top Gear when the trio raced three vets from Iraq. All with limbs missing etc.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...million-198253