British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-11-11, 01:00 PM

Default Imperial Light Horse

Hello to all the South Africans this morning. Badges from South Africa are few and far between where I'm from but I manage to stumble onto the odd one now and then. I think it's a small cap badge (it overlays Owen 625) but don't know for sure. Any info or comments welcomed... Jim
Old 29-11-11, 02:29 PM

Hi Jim, it looks like the ILH cap badge to me as per Owen 625. The ILH was raised during the Boer War in Pietermaritzburg in Natal, mainly from British subjects who had left Johannesburg at the start of hostilities. My mothers Grandfather was in this unit. They did see lots of action in the Boer War including Elandslaagte. The badge you have was worn 1913-1965. The unit is now called The Light Horse Regiment. Regards Andrew
Old 02-12-11, 01:36 PM

Hi Jim,

I cant add to much to what Andrew said. If you have Owens you'll see there isn't much variation in the size of the cap badge.
The badges of the original Imperial Light Horse are interesting in that they have the Union Jack and the Royal Standard featured.
They featured prominently and heroically in the siege of Ladysmith and being British South Africans, they were fighting for there own colony and of course the Empire.

Andrew, that must make you proud that your Maternal Great Grandfather was in this original regiment of which only 500 were originally raised and so many died in defense of Ladysmith.

regards,

Iain
Old 02-12-11, 02:09 PM

Hi Jim

They have a nice regimental history book published a few years back.

Brian
Old 02-12-11, 02:39 PM

Hi Brian,

I'm recently purchased it and am currently reading it, assuming its the same one, "Light Horse Cavalcade" by Colonel Harry Klein.

Another very interesting fact which I didnt mention is that one of the original founders of the ILH was Sir Percy Fitzpatrick, the mining magnate and author of "Jock of the Bushveld."

regards,

Iain
Old 03-12-11, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Jim,

I cant add to much to what Andrew said. If you have Owens you'll see there isn't much variation in the size of the cap badge.
The badges of the original Imperial Light Horse are interesting in that they have the Union Jack and the Royal Standard featured.
They featured prominently and heroically in the siege of Ladysmith and being British South Africans, they were fighting for there own colony and of course the Empire.

Andrew, that must make you proud that your Maternal Great Grandfather was in this original regiment of which only 500 were originally raised and so many died in defense of Ladysmith.

regards,

Iain
Hi Iain, It is great to have heritage like this. He came out from the UK and served in Matabeleland in the 1890's, after being discharged, he settled in Pietermaritzburg. He joined the ILH at the start of the Boer War and fought at Elandslaagte and in the Relief of Ladysmith. Regretably I do not know what happened to his medals. I only found out about him after my Gran passed away. His service record was amongst her stuff. Looking at the medal roll, it looks as if his brother joined the ILH at the same time as he did. Regards Andrew
Old 03-12-11, 08:00 AM

Iain

Yes, the same book, I am honoured to have his son's Major Nugent Fitzpatricks KIA 1917 War Medal in my collection, he had served in the ILH in the GSWA campaign before joining the SA Heavy Artillery for service in France.

Purchased it a few years back from a medal collector in the US.

Just wish I knew where his Star and Victory medals are, as a re-unite would be great!

Regards
Brian
Old 03-12-11, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Iain

Yes, the same book, I am honoured to have his son's Major Nugent Fitzpatricks KIA 1917 War Medal in my collection, he had served in the ILH in the GSWA campaign before joining the SA Heavy Artillery for service in France.

Purchased it a few years back from a medal collector in the US.

Just wish I knew where his Star and Victory medals are, as a re-unite would be great!

Regards
Brian
Hi Brian,

I suppose if your father founded the regiment, you too would join it.
Its sad that a medal collection would be split up. I wish you luck in reuniting them.

regards,

Iain
Old 03-12-11, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi Iain, It is great to have heritage like this. He came out from the UK and served in Matabeleland in the 1890's, after being discharged, he settled in Pietermaritzburg. He joined the ILH at the start of the Boer War and fought at Elandslaagte and in the Relief of Ladysmith. Regretably I do not know what happened to his medals. I only found out about him after my Gran passed away. His service record was amongst her stuff. Looking at the medal roll, it looks as if his brother joined the ILH at the same time as he did. Regards Andrew
Hi Andrew,

that really is something.
"A" Squadron of the ILH weren't besieged at Ladysmith but formed part of the relief column and indeed with a squadron of Natal Carbineers were the first to relieve Ladysmith and their colleagues. Another interesting fact was that they, "A" Squadron, before the relief of Ladysmith, again with a squadron of Natal Carbineers attempted the rescue of an ambushed armoured train on which was Winston Churchill, then of course, a war correspondent.
The ILH were also in the relief column that lifted the siege of Mafeking.

Sad that such a collector of militaria as yourself doesn't have such important family medals in his collection.
I was in SA when my own father died and his medals, including his miniatures are in the possession of my sisters. Fortunately I have some of his other stuff.

Regards,

Iain
Old 03-12-11, 10:40 AM

Hi Iain, I am looking for all family medals. I have most from my fathers side, and hope to get the WW2 from my Mom's side. The rest I am just searching for. Regards Andrew
Old 03-12-11, 11:15 AM

I hesitate to ask if this story is true as it sounds very unlikely, but a long time ago I read of a lone horseman being seen riding down Main Street, Mafeking (Every dorp has a main street, so let's call it that), people wondered who he was , then did a double take - he was a Trooper of the Imperial Light Horse and the first of the relief force to enter the town.

I can believe the latter part, about ILH being first into town, but find it hard to believe he got as far as he did undetected, and figure it was a journo embelishing the story.

Cheers,

John
Old 03-12-11, 11:36 AM

Thank you very much for your replies... Great information and I'm also pleased that a post of mine has generated this interest. It's special when you have family members in a regiment or a battalion and then other forum members bring out their connections.... it would be great if this can help in a successful concliusion to a medal search.... thanks again Jim
Old 03-12-11, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
I hesitate to ask if this story is true as it sounds very unlikely, but a long time ago I read of a lone horseman being seen riding down Main Street, Mafeking (Every dorp has a main street, so let's call it that), people wondered who he was , then did a double take - he was a Trooper of the Imperial Light Horse and the first of the relief force to enter the town.

I can believe the latter part, about ILH being first into town, but find it hard to believe he got as far as he did undetected, and figure it was a journo embelishing the story.

Cheers,

John
Hi John,

not as unlikely as you think; the evening before the official relief of Mafeking, an officers patrol of the ILH, led by Major "Karri" Davies, moved forward to test the way into Mafeking, At 7pm he rode in unopposed to the frenzied delight of the garrison.
I would think it highly unlikely that an officers patrol would not have scouts riding ahead.
At 3.30am the next day on 17th May 1900, the relief column officially entered Mafeking thus ending the siege and Lord Baden Powells defense.

regards,

Iain
Old 03-12-11, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim a View Post
Thank you very much for your replies... Great information and I'm also pleased that a post of mine has generated this interest. It's special when you have family members in a regiment or a battalion and then other forum members bring out their connections.... it would be great if this can help in a successful concliusion to a medal search.... thanks again Jim
Hi Jim,

thanks for generating the interest initially.
Where in the world are you from, you dont say?

regards,

Iain
Old 03-12-11, 02:26 PM

Thanks Iain, that is a very pleasing answer to the question, and I too have found this a very interesting thread.

Regards,

john