British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-03-15, 05:23 PM

Default 7 Gurkha Rifles - Company Signs 1982

Does anyone know the details of the scheme worn by 7th Gurkhas, 5 Brigade, in 1982?
I found a brief mention of this scheme using the forum search. It stated that the Battalion flash was a triangle, and that Companies were indicated by other geometric shapes, square, circle, diamond, bar or cross.
Does anyone know the dimensions of these flashes and the Coy. they signify? The photographs I have found indicate they were black felt, though seemingly not in universal use, as some individuals did not appear to have them.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards

Paul
Old 11-03-15, 05:47 PM

Hi Paul, can't find anything about the 7th Gurkhas - but the 6th wore white company flashes on the jungle hat - I wonder whether they'd be the same shapes across the Regt's ? eg A company was a triangle B company a square, C company a circle , all (1 1/2 inches x 1 1/2 inches) D company a rectangle 1 1/2 inches by 3/4 inches ). HQ Company was the same square as B company but worn at an angle. Hope this helps Tim
Old 11-03-15, 06:23 PM

Thanks Tim,

Thanks for the very prompt and interesting reply!

The photo below (7GR boarding QE2) shows the triangle Battalion sign worn by the chap on the left. The Gurkha just behind him has a diamond flash above the sleeve pocket on his smock. Interestingly the rack number on the butt of his L1A1 SLR is prefixed by a 'D' so tentatively the diamond is D Coy.?

I'll dig out a few more photos.

Regards

Paul
Old 11-03-15, 07:00 PM

Default 7 GR

Perhaps the battalion flash of the black equilateral triangle was worn on the right arm and the company flash, also black felt, was worn on the left arm in the conventional sequence of: A Coy - equilateral triangle, B Coy - square, C Coy- disc and as in the image D (or HQ Coy or Sp Coy) the lozenge. Mike
Old 11-03-15, 09:17 PM

Thanks Mike,

That might be the case. I've found a few photos but they do tend to show that the flashes were not universally worn. Unfortunately most of the photos are either vaguely or incorrectly captioned, so location cannot be used to identify which sub unit. However a horizontal bar and a cross are also shown. I sure I have a photo of a small square in use too.

A cross

and a horizontal bar (scaling roughly by the size of the pocket button) puts this at 2" x ¾"

Regards

Paul
Old 11-03-15, 09:23 PM

I could only find one photo showing the black flash. Triangular on the right arm. The other images that I can find show no flash being worn. I suppose that in those days ,flashes weren't a major thing . The paras were the only ones where youd likely find a fully flashed battalion.
Old 12-03-15, 09:22 PM

Default FS 129

According to The Formation Sign 129 the cross is HQ,
A Coy had a triangle,
B Coy the square,
C Coy the disc,
D Coy the diamond and
SP Coy had the black bar.
Old 13-03-15, 05:46 AM

Default 7 GR Company signs

That's clear. Perhaps I should pay more attention to the Formation Sign!
Old 13-03-15, 03:38 PM

I found a few more images with the sign shown. But it doesnt appear to be universal .
Old 13-03-15, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
That's clear. Perhaps I should pay more attention to the Formation Sign!
I think I should join MHS.....

Regards

Paul
Old 13-03-15, 08:13 PM

Many thanks to all for taking the time to reply and dig out info for me. I've been intrigued by this scheme for a while. With the obvious exception of DZs it's unusual to see much applied directly to DPM at that period. Thanks to Rolfi for finally nailing it!
These flashes have a WW1 feel about them with the felt and geometric shapes.

Just a few more images

The RSM of 7GR 'One Ton' Karnabahadur Rai (which confirmed the HQ flash)

An Officer of 7GR. I've not noted any DPM rank slides yet, just plain green with black embroidery 7GR

Regards

Paul