British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-01-16, 04:18 PM

Default 17th (Etchingham) Corps Sussex Rifle Volunteers 1860-'76?

I'm fairly sure that this relates to the above unit (or at least the village). The seller had it listed as 'unknown Sussex Regiment/Yeomanry'. It is fairly distinctive with the Sussex martlets and very similar to the badge I photographed in the Redoubt Museum for reference and which appears to have possibly been bronzed or blackened.

It measures 33mm by 25mm, is die stamped and appears to be bronzed. It isn't in the best of condition and I won't be upset if I'm wide of the mark, but this one has me intrigued!

It has one of two vertical lugs remaining on the back and I believe this (along with the fact that the outside points of the coronet have broken off) make it a collar badge.

I cannot find any reference to it in Churchill, Westlake or other references. From May to November 1861 the 17th formed part of the 5th Kent Admin. Bn., then the 1st Cinque Ports Admin. Bn. until 1876, when the 17th formed part of the 1st Cinque Ports RVC.

Any input to put me out of my misery would be appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Pete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-01-03 19.50.58.jpg (38.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-01-03 19.51.23.jpg (39.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-07-26 16.36.33.jpg (79.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-01-16, 06:17 PM

Default East Sussex Constabulary

Hi Pete,
What you have there is an East Sussex Constabulary shoulder badge.
I wore them pre 1968 (1968 we amalgamated into Sussex Police).
The one you have is an early version with loops on the back. Later versions were in chrome with screw posts.
We did not wear collar badges. The shoulder badges were worn on the sewn down epaulettes above our warrant numbers in the same metal.
I did email the internet seller who said they were yeomanry, did they didn't reply & didn't change the description on their site.
As I have mentioned, when these cropped up before, the spikes on the coronets were very sharp, & very often caused bloody fingers when brushing away (pre Head & shoulders) dandruff!! The shield martlets & coronet are the arms of East Sussex
Sorry to disappoint you about the rifle volunteers but not that rare.
Change of date, my error 1968 was amalgamation, 1974 was change from Sussex Constabulary to Sussex Police
All the best,
Alan.

Last edited by Empire collector; 04-01-16 at 08:00 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-01-16, 06:21 PM

I think it's great when forum members can ID an item and even better when they actually wore it...! Well done Alan.

Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs. Selous Scouts.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 04-01-16, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire collector View Post
Hi Pete,
What you have there is an East Sussex Constabulary shoulder badge.
I wore them pre 1974 (1974 we amalgamated into Sussex Police).
The one you have is an early version with loops on the back. Later versions were in chrome with screw posts.
We did not wear collar badges. The shoulder badges were worn on the sewn down epaulettes above our warrant numbers in the same metal.
I did email the internet seller who said they were yeomanry, did they didn't reply & didn't change the description on their site.
As I have mentioned, when these cropped up before, the spikes on the coronets were very sharp, & very often caused bloody fingers when brushing away (pre Head & shoulders) dandruff!! The shield martlets & coronet are the arms of East Sussex
Sorry to disappoint you about the rifle volunteers but not that rare.
All the best,
Alan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
I think it's great when forum members can ID an item and even better when they actually wore it...! Well done Alan.

Roy.
Could not agree more, Roy. Absolutely brilliant!

Regards to all.
Old 04-01-16, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Could not agree more, Roy. Absolutely brilliant!

Regards to all.
Yep x 2. I wish someone could identify all the Kent Invicta horses too.
Old 05-01-16, 04:34 AM

Hi Alan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply with your fascinating and detailed response- what a great story! You've certainly educated me and put me out of my misery!

Of course now I put in the correct Google search term they pop up all over the place!!!

As others have commented this is the value of this forum (Good luck with the Invicta horses Keith).

Kind Regards,

Pete.