British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-09, 02:00 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default Something wrong?

Hi Bill & Jo, I see you are already on the forum this morning so maybe you can have a quick gander at this one, Am I seeing things or are this fellows chevrons upside down? http://cgi.ebay.ca/WW2-1943-7MED-RCA...1%7C240%3A1318
These chevrons are down on the cuff I believe, I'm not familiar with this one , can some of you throw some light on it. Ray
Old 23-03-09, 02:07 PM

Hi Ray,

They are the Good Conduct Chevron...these ones are for 5 years of good service and are positioned correctly. I have included a picture of my Grand Dad who was awarded the chevron for 2 years to show their orientation.

Best,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yvon Allain- Good conduct 1.jpg (28.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 23-03-09, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Nice pic and explanation Mike. That 7 Med RCA tunic is a nice example. The IC trade badge is a nice example of that trade.
Old 23-03-09, 02:22 PM

There's your answer Ray, thanks to Mike.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 23-03-09, 04:36 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

THANKS GUYS , NEVER SAW THEM ON A TUNIC BEFORE , WAS GOOD CONDUCT THAT RARE? Or did they not bother with them?
Old 23-03-09, 07:14 PM

Hi Ray,

I guess my answer would be yes and no.

1) Breaches in soldier conduct -i.e. A.W.O.L. or fighting- if these made it into a soldiers service record it affected it from being awarded. So generally they had to have an impeccable service record....something that may have been challenging to the average private who was in England for years prior to the Italy and European campaigns.

2) Once a soldier achieved Lance Corporal or above the soldier had to remove the Good Conduct Chevrons from their uniforms.

As a side note...my Grandfather's picture shows only one chevron which was awarded in June 1942...he was demobilized as a private in August 1945. It is my opinion that he should have been awarded another chevron as his service record was flawless...guess the military missed that one for him!.

Mike