British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-09-15, 12:52 AM

Default More uniform ID

Hello again,
You all did such a fantastic job on my last uniform ID that I was hopeful you could help on this one as well. Unfortunate the quality is not crash hot, but it's all iv'e got. It was taken in PE if that's of any help?
Thanks in advance.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eunice Estment Retouch 02.jpg (15.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 10-09-15, 06:36 AM

Hi Tony
The photo isn't really good enough but all I can say is it's similar to Cape Town Highlanders and may be that. In the PE area there was also First City Regiment which wore highland dress, and Kaffrarian Rifles which I think had a Scottish Company, though someone else might be able to confirm that. I know they used to have a pipe band.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 10-09-15, 12:18 PM

The Kaffrarian (now Buffalo Volunteer) Rifles did have a kilted Highland company. They wore Mackenzie tartan.

First City wore Graham of Montrose tartan and still wear a tartan flash on the Tam o' Shanter. I think they also still wear kilts on ceremonial occasions.

Regards
Craig

Last edited by craigen; 10-09-15 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-09-15, 02:07 PM

I had a look back through some old photos of CTH uniforms and I don't think it's CTH. They wore a badge between the top and second buckle of the cross belt, though I don't know exactly when that practice was started.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 10-09-15, 04:57 PM

Hi Tony

My knowledge of Highland uniforms is non-existent, so nothing useful to add on that front but is the bride in the picture Eunice Estment and is the man her husband? Also, do you have contact with any of the family who can tell you more about the picture?

A quick look around the genealogy sites brings up a good candidate for Eunice Estment, who would have been born in the early 1920s of an 1820 Settler family, so her wedding could easily have been sometime around WWII. She married a Douglas Wilson.

If you are interested enough it should be feasible to track down Estments or Wilsons in the area who might be able to help shed some light on the matter.

Regards
Craig
Old 10-09-15, 06:28 PM

Tony

At one time there were many Caledonian pipe bands in this country, which would just confuse matters even more.

Brian
Old 12-09-15, 02:54 AM

[QUOTE=craigen;322671]Hi Tony
'Eunice Estment, who would have been born in the early 1920s of an 1820 Settler family,...'
'She married a Douglas Wilson'.

Thanks Craig. You're correct, Eunice was born 1823 and the photo was her and Douglas's wedding day. As advised I'll do a bit more family research and see what I come up with.
Tony
Old 12-09-15, 05:25 AM

I'm not up with the play as far as band dress goes, but I know both Cape Town Highlanders and First City wore sporrans much like the one in the photo (white with two black tassles). It could also be a "civvie" pipe band uniform.
Old 14-09-15, 05:01 AM

Me not knowing much about uniforms in general I'm gathering from fragments that it's a bandsmans uniform?
Is that correct?
Old 15-09-15, 04:25 PM

Yes, I'm fairly sure it's a bandsman's uniform.
Cheers,
Alex