British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-03-14, 06:48 AM

Default RFC METAL SILVER WINGS OPINIONS

Can anyone say if these wings are original wartime wings in silver or a fantasy piece?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2357744_140306185318_Picture_135.jpg (49.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 2357744_140306185345_Picture_138.jpg (52.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 2357744_140306185219_Picture_155.jpg (71.1 KB, 68 views)
Old 12-03-14, 07:29 AM

Default RFC wings

Unfortunately I believe they are fake. This being due to the blade fixings, originals had a brooch fixing.
Check out www.worldofmilitarywings.com and search for royal flying corps metal wings.
Sorry
Paul
Old 12-03-14, 08:12 AM

Thanks thats just saved me 60 Pounds.
Old 12-03-14, 08:23 AM

Genuine Silver badges can be found with blades.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01927.jpg (51.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01928.jpg (58.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 12-03-14, 08:33 AM

Default Rfc wings

Hi Badger,
I think the question was specific to the RFC wings,they are in fact a breast badge which was only in use for a very short period pre WW1. I think for an original one you could add a 0 to the £60 asking price.
Paul
Old 12-03-14, 08:47 AM

A complete fantasy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionoke View Post
Can anyone say if these wings are original wartime wings in silver or a fantasy piece?
Thanks
Old 12-03-14, 09:36 AM

Smile RFC wings

The RFC wings in question may not be correct, but the RFC did have bronze wings in the same style as shown.

As to the fixings, I'm not sure whether they had blades or brooch fittings, I think blades would have been more favoured.

Rob
Old 12-03-14, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop jockey View Post
Hi Badger,
I think the question was specific to the RFC wings,they are in fact a breast badge which was only in use for a very short period pre WW1. I think for an original one you could add a 0 to the £60 asking price.
Paul
I wouldn't know if these wings are real or not, what I'm saying is that silver badges can be found with blades (although not very common). In this game, nothing should be discounted.

Doesn't the website linked to at #2 say that they were also worn with service dress and service dress badges usually had blades?
Old 12-03-14, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
I wouldn't know if these wings are real or not, what I'm saying is that silver badges can be found with blades (although not very common). In this game, nothing should be discounted.

Doesn't the website linked to at #2 say that they were also worn with service dress and service dress badges usually had blades?
Hi,
The website link I posted clearly states that these these badges with tines/tangs ie blades are copies made post war, it does mention their use on service dress but not with blades, If you think I am giving misinformation in anyway and you know that to be the case then I apologise.
Paul
Old 12-03-14, 10:14 AM

LOL,
These wretched things originally came from contempory photograph frames, but, have since been faked to death, with the spurious stories regarding their use as a "badge"

Quote:
Hi,
The website link I posted clearly states that these these badges with tines/tangs ie blades are copies made post war, it does mention their use on service dress but not with blades, If you think I am giving misinformation in anyway and you know that to be the case then I apologise.
Paul
Old 12-03-14, 10:28 AM

Default Rfc badge

Hi Frank,
Are you saying that the bladed wings are duff or do you include the brooched ones too.? I have seen a couple of brooched ones come up for sale occasionally from a good militaria auction house and a couple of good dealers
Paul
Old 12-03-14, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Hi,
Paul
No Paul, I don't think you're giving misinformation and no need to apologise, this is a forum for discussion and debate after all. As I said, I wouldn't know if the RFC badge shown is real or not!

What I am saying is that you should never say never in badge collecting. Until I saw the Y&L badge in my previous post, if someone had said to me that silver officers badges were made with blades then I wouldn't have believed them. Now that I have this one in my collection (and it may even be a one off)I believe!

Ivan
Old 12-03-14, 10:33 AM

Hello Paul,
Yes, I'm saying the bladed wings are "duff" and the example in the original post in this thread was made yesterday!
Really awful!
Kind regards Frank Kelley

Quote:
Hi Frank,
Are you saying that the bladed wings are duff or do you include the brooched ones too.? I have seen a couple of brooched ones come up for sale occasionally from a good militaria auction house and a couple of good dealers
Paul
Old 12-03-14, 10:48 AM

Default Rfc badge

Hi Ivan,
I agree with you on never say never when badge collecting, I have been subject to misinformation on a few occassions myself when purchasing or even gaining an opinion on a badge as no doubt many on this forum have been in the past and would not want to misinform myself.
Paul
Old 12-03-14, 08:34 PM

Cool Wings with blades

I have had a conversation with an old friend who has a frame which had a pair of bronze wings on it. He took the wings off years ago, when I asked him what the fixings were and he said blades.

Obviously, these were not that practical for wearing and most ended up adorning photo frames.

Rob