British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-09-14, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Default Here we go again...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANADIAN-SPE...item3f3c7754d8
Old 05-09-14, 01:00 AM

I love the disclaimer:

Before the howling from the self appointed experts begins, allow me and them to acknowledge that whether this regiment ever had its own insignia has never been proved one way or the other, and likely never will. What is common knowledge is that these insignia are somewhere between scarce and rare. The most likely explanation is that the compliment designed and struck their own insignia in the absence of government issue.

He left out the part that it is common knowledge that these badges were produced in the 1980s.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 05-09-14, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, there are far too many keyboard collectors out there. They sit and buy badges off the internet, but don't do any research.
Old 05-09-14, 05:45 AM

keyboard collector is a new one one on me bill, had a little chuckle but it does unfortunately describe a few members of our hobby,sadly badges and insignia are hovered up despite being not being right surely more money than sense comes to mind,
Old 05-09-14, 08:10 PM

These look like copies of the copies!
Old 05-09-14, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Unfortunately, there are far too many keyboard collectors out there. They sit and buy badges off the internet, but don't do any research.
Plenty of people who like the sound of their own keyboard out there too!
Old 06-09-14, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Personally I find that coming across a badge in some odd place , like a flea market or car boot sale is much more satisfying than trawling the internet although I have purchased a couple that have been advertised on this site but as they say , each to his own.
Old 06-09-14, 02:55 PM

Hi Gents,

I do agree that finding that treasure on a day out looking through flee markets or antique shops is preferable and when such experiences are possible - more enjoyable that ever buying off the internet. Although I do have to speak up a little for this 'keyboard collector' - as an Englishman in America collecting Canadian badges - I have traveled all over this country and searched countless antique shops etc and to date have not found a single badge worth buying.

Certainly in my collecting youth back in my home town in England, flee markets/antique shops etc were my local haunt but I now find that due to my geographical location the internet and this wonderful website is a blessing and helps me to keep in touch with fellow collectors, educate myself on my new topic of interest and importantly afford me the opportunity to acquire wonderful pieces for my passion.

Would I prefer to spend my mornings discovering treasures at a local flee market? Yes of course I would 'and' I still keep looking. And maybe I will get up to Canada sometime, meet up with friends and trawl some of the shops. But for now my 'collection' would amount to exactly 'zero' Canadian badges if it were not for the internet.

The previous comment "each to their own" was of course very apt and correct but sometimes ones choice in the matter is limited - in my case geography but in the case of a good friend his severe disability.

All the best, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 06-09-14, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Roy, The comment was made in reference to collectors who only seem to collect online, and without using the available fora and social media or reference material to learn about what they are collecting. Evident in the number of reproductions that are being sold as original, it is clear that the buyers are not doing their due diligence.
As indicated there are circumstances that prevent one from getting out to collect, and you are an excellent example of an individual who is using the internet to advantage. The reference to keyboard collecting was to those who are buying badges without due diligence and research.