British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-07-12, 01:34 AM

Just had another look at this marvellous collection and I noticed that there are 2 Middlesex Public Works badges on show, one in jpg ending 226 and the other in 317.

Both appear to be different to the pattern that is "accepted" as being the correct one for those battalions, the most obvious being the more horizontal upper scroll. (The two on display appear to show the "normal" upward pointing scroll ends).

Now, if both the badges in the collection were sourced from battlefields; old soldiers or other means that can offer an equally good provenance, then perhaps the thinking in respect of this badge may have to be changed somewhat.

If they haven't got a reliable provenance, then horizontal scrolls still hold sway in identifying this paricular badge.

This is in no way casting aspersions on this collection, which in my view is a superb collection that has been very well researched and displayed.

Regards
Brian
Old 15-07-12, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Just had another look at this marvellous collection and I noticed that there are 2 Middlesex Public Works badges on show, one in jpg ending 226 and the other in 317.

Both appear to be different to the pattern that is "accepted" as being the correct one for those battalions, the most obvious being the more horizontal upper scroll. (The two on display appear to show the "normal" upward pointing scroll ends).

Now, if both the badges in the collection were sourced from battlefields; old soldiers or other means that can offer an equally good provenance, then perhaps the thinking in respect of this badge may have to be changed somewhat.

If they haven't got a reliable provenance, then horizontal scrolls still hold sway in identifying this paricular badge.

This is in no way casting aspersions on this collection, which in my view is a superb collection that has been very well researched and displayed.

Regards
Brian
Brian

I also noticed he has one marked as 20th Battalion, which is Shoreditch. I assume this is WM or silver?

As you know, this is something I have been pondering for ages. I wonder where this info came from?

Fabulous collection. I'm speechless.

Regards
Neil
Old 16-07-12, 12:59 PM

sorry deleted

Last edited by jeanpit-frenchy; 02-05-13 at 09:37 AM.
Old 16-07-12, 01:23 PM

Hi,
Excellent collection and well displayed. Would love to see more pictures of the South African portion of the collection.

I did notice though the picture named p1160215 shows a few Salvation Army cap badges with titles below 'S.A.' These appear to me to be post 1950 South African general pattern SA badges worn on tunic collars below a corps or unit badge. These were adopted 1951 to replace the 'red tab' and there are two distinct patterns. He is displaying both patterns as been WWI ??? - I am not sure this is correct. Maybe a higher resolution picture of just the Salvation Army might bring more clarity to this anomoly.

Have also just looked at picture named p1160326 (South African Contingent Western Front) and he has a number of WWII and Post WWII badges on display. The discrepensies lie with badges of South African Military Nursing Service, South African Railways, and possibly some Cape Corps and East African ASC. I knowledge only extends to badges of South Africa, but these discrepensies leaves me doubting the other insignia that I do not have knowledge about.

Having said this, it is still a very impressive collection and maybe with the help of members of this forum, we could 'weed' out some of the problem areas to assist this collection.

Regards
Steven

Last edited by Milmed; 16-07-12 at 01:39 PM.
Old 16-07-12, 05:58 PM

Thankyou again, jeanpit, for the extra pictures. The New Zealand section is very impressive. Your friend has some rare badges there (some gaps too, of course, but we all have them!). I am amazed at the duplication of some badges, over the whole collection.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 17-07-12, 02:01 PM
button_guru

Jeanpit, another big thanks for sharing with us once again.

Merci pour partager avec nous.
Je vais avoir des rĂªves sur ces insignes!

Rgds,
b_g
Old 17-07-12, 06:41 PM

'Sacre Bleu' !!
Old 30-04-13, 08:23 AM

If possible, can this thread with pictures be deleted?
As the owner of these badges hasn't granted permission to have the pictures on public view on the internet.

I do wish to say that Jeanpit-frenchy isn't the man who took the pictures. The bloke who did that has taken the pictures without permission from the owner and has posted them on another forum (where the pictures have been deleted by now).
Also by now, the man who took the pictures has been told to s*d off and never come back by the collector of the badges here on display.

I know the owner of the collection very well and he is quite upset that his collection is on the internet and wishes all pictures removed.

thanks very much in advance
Old 30-04-13, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geluveld View Post
As the owner of these badges hasn't granted permission to have the pictures on public view on the internet.

I do wish to say that Jeanpit-frenchy isn't the man who took the pictures. The bloke who did that has taken the pictures without permission from the owner and has posted them on another forum (where the pictures have been deleted by now).
Also by now, the man who took the pictures has been told to s*d off and never come back by the collector of the badges here on display.

I know the owner of the collection very well and he is quite upset that his collection is on the internet and wishes all pictures removed.

Apart from the fact that I am not sure if what you tell above is enough to let the administrators of this forum believe that you have the right to ask this, I think you are at the wrong place. The pictures are not on the forum's web site. They are on http://i45.servimg.com and you better go there to ask for their removal. That will not only make the links here leading to nothing (HTTP error 404), but also all links on every other web site that may have those links. And it will thus prevent you from having to go over the whole of the internet to look for other places that link to them.

In short, when you want these pictures to be removed from the internet, you should go to the webmaster of http://i45.servimg.com.

Just my 2 pennies.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 01-05-13, 11:40 AM

it can be done quite easily: delete the topic and the links are gone as well...
Old 01-05-13, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Getting them deleted off the hosting server is the way to go.
Unfortunately we cannot start deleting external links if no forum rule has been broken or copyright infringement has taken place.
Old 02-05-13, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geluveld View Post

like geluveld i apologize for this ......but i understand
sorry for this geluveld, if i can help !
cheers
jp

Last edited by jeanpit-frenchy; 02-05-13 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-05-13, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by button_guru View Post
My dream of heaven too!
I saw one similar locally once, which contained many Victorian plates and WBCs, some extremely rare. The original owners/collectors were private tailors for officers and senior NCOs. The shame of it was that it was split and each section or frame sold for four digit figures each.

Blessed are the poor, for they will die longing and daydreaming!!!!!
Rgds,
button_guru
------------------------------
Buttons aren't just a hobby!
Brings me to mind of an outstanding collection I had both the awe and pleasure of seeing at a local auction in late 60s. It consisted of 28 large old frames of helmet plates, lancer cap plates, shoulder-belt plates, and collections of cavalry, infantry, territorial, colonial, etc, etc cap badges, and that took up the walls of 2 large rooms. Goes without saying that I could only look wistfully at the unattainable. In actual fact, I later learnt that the erstwhile owner/collector (deceased) was an elderly retired colonel who, unknown to me, lived in same town and would have been more than willing to pass on his collection to a young collector who would appreciate it!!!
To cut a long story short, the Lot was purchased by an antiques dealer for a fraction of its deserved price, broken up and sold abroad (UK). I still have daydreams of that missed opportunity.
GTB