British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-06-18, 01:50 PM

Default Formation patches

Today whilst rummaging through a biscuit tin of nick nacks in my local junk store, I came across some military cloth badges. Everything came from a family house clearance and I would appreciate your comments on authenticity and what they are exactly. This is not what I normally collect, so sorry if it’s a basic sort of question.
Here’s a link to my album and it just the black cat, Sherwood Oak and XV cloth I would like your comments on please. Many thanks.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=3167
Old 21-06-18, 02:00 AM

Default FS

Nice looking bits.

Black cat- looks like 17th Indian Division.
Oak trees- 46 (North Midland & West Riding) Division, or a post-war variant worn by a successor formation.
'XV'- East Yorkshire Regt.

Stephen.
Old 21-06-18, 06:02 PM

Thanks Stephen (and others who PM’ed me).
I returned to the shop today to make sure I hadn’t missed anything from this lot and found a couple of additional bits of cloth. These were not from the same source though. Could you please take a look and give me your thoughts as to authenticity etc.
Thanks in anticipation.
Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Elliott; 21-06-18 at 06:21 PM.
Old 21-06-18, 10:19 PM

Default FS

Kevin,

The bells are 47 (London) Div.
The shamrock is a modern TRF worn by Royal Irish Regt.

All look to be good.

Stephen.
Old 21-06-18, 11:11 PM

I think the shamrock is Dutch
Cheers
Sean
Old 22-06-18, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper533 View Post
I think the shamrock is Dutch
Cheers
Sean
Indeed it is, 4th Division, instituded by Army Order No. 5 of 1953. Worn as a diamond shape with one of the edges upwards.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 22-06-18, 09:07 PM

Many thanks guys.
I have made some progress myself in respect of the XV and 17th Indian Div patches...these came to my local "collectors" shop amongst a load of stuff from a house clearance. Talking to the shopkeeper, I discovered he had already sold some WW2 medals and ephemera before I bought the cloth. It was still in the shop, awaiting payment and collection, so he let me have a look. There were various documents and dog tags to a G.E. Verity army number 14797110, an East Yorks cap badge and amongst the medals, a Burma star. I believe the East Yorks were attached to the 17th Indian Div and fought against the Japanese in 1945, towards the end of hostilities. So that would appear to link those particular items to a named soldier.
The only confusion is the 46 (North Midland & West Riding) Division patches and a Hampshire cap badge (which I didn't buy) which definitely came from the same house clearance?
As previously stated, the 46 (London) Div bells and shamrock patch, whilst from the same shop were NOT part of the Verity collection.
Regards,
Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Elliott; 22-06-18 at 09:13 PM.
Old 23-06-18, 08:58 PM

1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment spent most the war on police duties in India but did join the 17th Indian Division in April 1945.