British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > University Regiments, Officer Training Units and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-14, 02:55 AM

Default Sydney University Company - 1918 Badge

Hello,

Further research to supplement the good info posted by SlickMick on the Sydney University Company badge.

SYDNEY UNIVERSITY COMPANY 1918

The committee of the Undergraduates' Association, feeling that a more organised effort would be of advantage, attempted the task of raising among the undergraduates a University Company, the members of which might be trained together and travel together to the seat of war before being divided as reinforcements required by the various units.

The committee enlisted the sympathy and services of Assistant Professor Holme as honorary organiser of the company.

The effort was very successful, with 180 joining the company after medical examination.

By permission of the military authorities, the company went into camp on the University grounds on 23 September 1918. They were placed under the charge of Captain Robert Rainy Harper, DSO Croix de Guerre, of the 20th battalion of the A.I.F., a returned University man unfit for further active service, and Lieut. H. Heydon, and attained to a high degree of efficiency, reflecting credit on their officers.

The company were removed to Liverpool for further training on 25 October 1918, and were to remain there until their embarkation on 16 November.

However, after the signing of the armistice on 11 November 1918, they were disbanded for the time.

My mind has swayed on the issue of this badge being worn officially I was of the opinion that it was perhaps an association type badge but after further research it could quite possibly been an officially worn badge...
The company was only in existence for a few months.

See University of Sydney archives for further information.
There are some b/a photographs of the company on parade and in training.
The Sydney University Company logo is also pictured and is the same as the badge posted by SlickMick.
http://sydney.edu.au/senate/students_WWI_company.shtml
Old 01-03-14, 06:51 AM

Default Thanks for the Info

Hi, your info confirms, and greatly expands, what I had already seen. I wonder if we will ever find out if the badge was worn on a slouch hat? They had not yet reached the stage of joining the AIF but if they wore standard uniform one might think that the rising sun was included (like the compulsory training militia). Maybe the badge was worn at the front of the slouch hat like the Militia numerals? Otherwise we have to assume that it was a lapel badge worn on civilian dress.