British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > University Regiments, Officer Training Units and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-14, 02:27 AM

Question Dating RMC cap badges

Hi, just a general query about dating RMC Duntroon cap/collar badges. I have Cossums books on Australian badges so I can do things generally and the post 1948, 1953, 1960 and 1997 ones are easy to recognise. So I am concerned with the 1913 to 1948 variations. Cossum breaks them up into 2 main groups 1913-1918 and 1932 - 1948 and this is where the problem arises. I have 25 so far with the main differences being:

the finish - brass, bronze, oxydised, silver, whitemetal or gilt
the KC - voided or filled
the makers mark - Stokes & Sons Melb or Stokes (stamped or embossed)
the lugs - 2 or 3 (although I have a couple of brooch backs as well as one fitted with blades for a pith helmet)

Any general advice would be greatly appreciated. They are all made by Stokes and I must admit I have never seen such a wide variety of finishes for what was a small unit. If there were a number of different manufacturers I could understand this but as there is only 1 (Stokes) I find it a bit confusing.

Any general advice would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Dave
Old 31-01-14, 04:53 AM

hi dave
good questions.
sorry i cant help answer them, however would be interested to see some of the variations. in particular the bladed one.
cheers
bc
Old 05-02-14, 08:29 AM

Default Dating RMC Badges

Hi BC.

Here are the photos of the cork helmet badge with the blade type lugs. I have put a normally lugged badge next to it for comparison. They are mounted on the triangular RMC colour flash.

regards

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000769_edited-1.jpg (33.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P1000770_edited-1.jpg (45.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 27-02-14, 01:51 AM

I've looked through both of my reference books on Duntroon, and deplorably there's nothing about the evolution of the badge.
Deplorable, because the original badge was designed by one of the first cadets there, who then went on to eventually become Commandant. A deplorable neglect of that facet of history!
Old 22-04-14, 12:22 PM

Hi. I have put together a collection of 26 different variations of the RMC cap/collar badge made between 1913 and 2014. The vast majority are WW2 and before. Why this number exist I have no idea and they are all made by Stokes of Melbourne so different manufacturers is not the answer. I am able to establish some patterns and I now intend to write a speculative article based on my observations. In other words run something up the flag pole and see who shoots at it.