British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-12-17, 06:11 AM

Default Title Change to 1 NZ SIGNAL REGIMENT

1ST NEW ZEALAND SIGNAL REGIMENT NAME CHANGE

Effective 1 December 2017, 1st New Zealand Signal Regiment (1 NZ Sig Regt) will change name to the 1st Command Support Regiment (1 CSR).

This name change describes the function of the unit, which is to enable commanders to execute command responsibilities and exercise control. 1 CSR will achieve this by providing combat-ready communications, electronic warfare and intelligence personnel and equipment to support command and decision execution.

1 CSR will also adopt a new patch with the motto ‘He Toa Takimano’, derived from the Maori whakatauki ‘Ehara taku toa I te toa takitahi, he toa takimano’ – ‘my strength is not from an individual, but from the collective’. This recognises the complimentary composite elements of the ‘Command Support’ function which make up 1 CSR.

The new patch shows no elements of the Royal New Zealand Corps of Signals on it whatsoever. Apparently this is not popular with many Corps members. The patches are still being distributed to members of the Regiment so unlikely to be many in collector captivity for some time.

The regiment is a signal regiment but also has one MI (Intelligence) Company embedded within it. However, the RNZSigs cap and the collar badges for service dress are still retained along with the corps stable belt (Same as R Sigs) for the Signal units. Signal elements in the Corps include 1 Signal Squadron, 2 Signal Squadron, 3 (EW) Signal Squadron, and 4 Signal Squadron plus 1 NZSAS Regt Signal Troop and the School of Signals.
Quicksilver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1NZSR.jpg (13.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-12-17, 06:28 AM

Very interesting (although I think that a better patch could be devised). In functional terms it seems to me to be a rational and potentially very effective organisation. In the UK it has not always been easy to get the Royal Signals and Int Corps on speaking terms, especially back in the days when elements of the latter had to dress as the former! I hope the very handsome NZ Int Corps badge lives on. Mike
Old 13-12-17, 12:01 AM

Default 1 NZ Signal Regiment name change

A little more information on the patch of 1 Command Support Regiment, which mainly supports 1 Brigade. The design of the patch depicts a New Zealand Morepork or Ruru. The roles of the NZIC and 3 Sqn (EW) are to keep an owl-like watchful eye over the battlespace. MI personnel continue to wear their own badge. 1 Squadron is a Territorial unit.
Quicksilver