British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-10-16, 01:43 AM

Default Australian Army vehicle signs- Barrow Creak Roadhouse

Just back from a trip into the Northern Territory. For probably the first time in 30 years I came home with no new badges or books! However, a stop at the Barrow Creak roadhouse revealed some interesting items displayed on the wall.

Over the years it seems that Army personnel have 'lost' numerous vehicle marking plates which the roadhouse owner has pinned to the wall in case the loser should ever come back for them!

Photos attached. can anyone identify the black carthorse with a red background?

Enjoy,

Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0819.jpg (106.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0820.jpg (102.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0821.jpg (99.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0822.jpg (99.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0823.jpg (95.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0824.jpg (48.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-10-16, 02:06 AM

Well he has a nice collection of all sorts use to live at Harvey Bay for about 5 yrs then moved back down south then further south to mexico Have been to JM's museum in Maryborough ??
Old 06-10-16, 06:18 AM

Superb and very valuable for those who own/restore WW2 (and post-War)Australian Army vehicles. I think the "carthorse" is 3 Aust Armd Div Postal Units. Mike
Old 06-10-16, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Superb and very valuable for those who own/restore WW2 (and post-War)Australian Army vehicles. I think the "carthorse" is 3 Aust Armd Div Postal Units. Mike
HQ Logistic Support Force, Mike. Modern sign, late 1980s onwards, might be called something else now, not sure.

Many a barracks or depot 'boozer' had collections like this in my day. Thanks for showing it badjez.

Keith
Old 06-10-16, 09:56 AM

Quote:
This Pom's too clever by half! I'm happy to be corrected! Mike
Old 23-01-17, 10:58 AM

Often these plates were simply stickers applied to a metal plate. I have attached my small collection of these stickers which used to be available from Army Disposal stores years ago. The information on the back gives instructions as well as identification numbers and the year of manufacture, mostly mid 1970's. They come in two sizes for small (Landrover) and large vehicles.

Oz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6814-001.jpg (91.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 23-01-17, 11:04 AM

Is there an expert on 2 AIF vehicle markings in the Forum - specifically vehicle markings for 1 Aust Line Unit in New Guinea. Mike
Old 23-01-17, 06:30 PM

I'll look it up tonight when I'm back home Mike. Presumably 1 Aust Line Section, 1 Aust Corps Sigs, later A Aust Corps Sigs. There were potentially two signs, one pre-August 1944, one later.
Keith
Old 23-01-17, 08:21 PM

Default Transfers for vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Ubique View Post
Often these plates were simply stickers applied to a metal plate. I have attached my small collection of these stickers which used to be available from Army Disposal stores years ago. The information on the back gives instructions as well as identification numbers and the year of manufacture, mostly mid 1970's. They come in two sizes for small (Landrover) and large vehicles.

Oz.
Here are some UK types in my album
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=1552

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (18.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 24-01-17, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Is there an expert on 2 AIF vehicle markings in the Forum - specifically vehicle markings for 1 Aust Line Unit in New Guinea. Mike
Definitely no expert Mike, Australian army vehicle markings are an absolute minefield and I'm finding my way around blindfolded!

2/1 Aust Line Section, 1 Aust Corps Sigs, was formed by re-designation of 5 Aust Line Section in June 1942 (ex- AIF Base Area Sigs). It was subsequently known as 1 Aust Line Section (not to be confused with the original 1 Aust Line Section raised in April 1940 for 1 Aust Corps Sigs, which became 11 Aust Line Section, First Aust Army Sigs, in June 1942).

As such it used the vehicle unit serial 115 in red on the white over blue background and was still using this serial at 27 Jan 44 while it was in NG. By December 1944 it was in Cairns, Queensland, and using the serial 1 over 246 in red on the signals white/blue background. It was still using this serial at Morotai in November 1945.

The latter serial number was in the form of a vulgar fraction with a red bar between them and was introduced in August 1944. 246 was the standard number for all Line Sections, Aust Corps of Signals.

The formation sign was a Bulldog over Boomerang, white on black.

Keith
Old 24-01-17, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Definitely no expert Mike, Australian army vehicle markings are an absolute minefield and I'm finding my way around blindfolded!

2/1 Aust Line Section, 1 Aust Corps Sigs, was formed by re-designation of 5 Aust Line Section in June 1942 (ex- AIF Base Area Sigs). It was subsequently known as 1 Aust Line Section (not to be confused with the original 1 Aust Line Section raised in April 1940 for 1 Aust Corps Sigs, which became 11 Aust Line Section, First Aust Army Sigs, in June 1942).

As such it used the vehicle unit serial 115 in red on the white over blue background and was still using this serial at 27 Jan 44 while it was in NG. By December 1944 it was in Cairns, Queensland, and using the serial 1 over 246 in red on the signals white/blue background. It was still using this serial at Morotai in November 1945.

The latter serial number was in the form of a vulgar fraction with a red bar between them and was introduced in August 1944. 246 was the standard number for all Line Sections, Aust Corps of Signals.

The formation sign was a Bulldog over Boomerang, white on black.

Keith
Very many thanks - that looks pretty "Expert" to me! Checking my father in Law's Certificate of Discharge (10 Jan 46) and Certificate of Australian Army Serive (5 Nov 76), he served in New Guinea 29 Oct 42 - 2 Dec 43 and in SWPA (Morotai, I think) 8 Apr 45 - 23 Dec 45. The Certificate of Service gives his details as: QX 27913 Signalman Reginald Walter COOKE, 1 Aust Line Sect.

The aim of this enquiry is to determine the markings I should apply to my Jeep in order to pose as a vehicle of Reg's unit. Your help has been invaluable. Mike