British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-17, 06:39 PM

Is this the same variant on the FS Fighting Knife flash - as worn by LCpl Artie Horner?
Cdo_FS_01.1.jpg
Old 22-01-17, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
That's an outstanding image. Note the parachute wings worn by one soldier on the right forearm - very unusual. Mike
Mike, not unusual at the time, when they were a trade badge.

They were certainly wild times full of opportunity for anyone wanting to volunteer for hazardous duties.
Old 22-01-17, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Is this the same variant on the FS Fighting Knife flash - as worn by LCpl Artie Horner?
Attachment 163702
Well it certainly looks very similar (given a bit of wear) the stand out features to me are the twisted ends of the cross guard - going up on one side and down on the other; also the 'line' just below the pommel. As you know, there are so many variants it is difficult to be definitive.
Mike
Old 23-01-17, 09:48 AM

Certainly an unusual pattern. Just working out the scale, on the basis of the length of the tommy gun on a std comb ops being 57mm, I calculate the length of the dagger on the badge to be ~49mm.
The 'standard' embroidered dagger badge dagger measures 53mm. The only smaller one I have (which also has a wavy cross guard) the dagger measures a tiny 34mm. Also it appears to have embroidery on the hilt and cross guard which is different again to both my examples, so this looks like a new variant I've not seen before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daggers.jpg (47.8 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Belly; 23-01-17 at 12:10 PM.
Old 23-01-17, 10:23 AM

And the length of the dagger portion of the printed late-War Commando Group formation sign was 55mm ((the sign being 72mm overall (measured to fold lines). Mike
Old 23-01-17, 12:14 PM

I can hear the dealers now, thumbing through their boxes, trying to find the 'special SBS' pattern dagger patch and adding a 0 to the price
Old 23-01-17, 01:32 PM

Given the Cash tape in the grouping it appears a bit of a 'hybrid' in terms of sources from which issues were gathered (even a 'mongrel') - it just goes to show that 'anything goes' - I bet there were almost as many combinations as there were men in the unit - certainly 'Gruff' Courtney was not a man for bumf.
All the best
Mike
PS - I heard he was buried in a remote location (Africa somewhere) with a tube extending to his mouth so that his brother, and visitors, could pour him a tot now and again.

Last edited by Mike B; 23-01-17 at 02:54 PM. Reason: clarification