British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-17, 10:12 PM

Officer badges are gilt and Other Ranks are brass.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:35 PM.
Old 21-01-17, 10:25 PM

Officers badges have the applied wheel, issued OR's don't.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 22-01-17, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Officer badges are gilt and Other Ranks are brass.

Marc

Yes, the photos looked gilt but may have been washed out for my screen. That will be something I need to carefully look at, the differences between a gilt finish and bright gilding metal. Darker bronze/brass is easy enough.

Alan reminds me that the main difference is the fold over blades for officers earlier on.

Didn't look at the wheel, should have but were all officer devices with applied/rotating wheels? I thought some OR's had rotating wheels as well?

Will take some time I see..

Thanks again!

Tim
Old 22-01-17, 02:05 AM

I have permission from the seller to use these images to vet the badge, no worries.

This is an example of what I normally would consider aged brass/bronze and what I would consider an OR to be wearing circa WW1 or slightly before.

If I'm wrong, please tell me.

Re: the badge shown.

What's the opinion here? Looks like an applied but non-rotating wheel, really don't have enough experience to say but it has a nice look to it, though I will probably clean the verdigris off.

Any issues with the slider being slightly offset towards the top where it's soldered to the badge?

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MY1.JPG (94.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg MY2.JPG (85.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 22-01-17, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

It's a genuine 1908 pattern TF badge. Also worn by Bangor University upto 1938 and possibly beyond.
Old 22-01-17, 11:06 AM

The badge in post 19 is a brass ORs badge (not bronze) and does not have the extra wheel.

There are brass badges with the applied wheel however these were a private purchase item.

Marc
Old 22-01-17, 05:33 PM

Thanks again,

Yes, the seller had more than a few and the one with applied wheel was in fact another example I was looking at. Good catch!

Yes, I seem to be having difficulty with distinguishing between a brassie looking gilding metal example and one that is actually gilded. Given time...

Thanks again
Old 19-02-17, 10:05 PM

Well, I had to clean it up as the verdigris was just too much and actually starting to eat into the wheel above the 11 o'clock spoke; that's resolved.

I notice that at some point in time, someone painted this badge black and its since either worn off or, someone tried to remove it. Not sure when that actually happened or if it was an officer converted badge but I picked the small remnants off the obverse as much as I could with my fingernail. Just looked crappy with the bits of black here and there.

I did leave a few specks in the recesses and left the reverse alone to keep the actual history. Lost some of the patina unfortunately but it looks better and the patina will eventually start to come back.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (36.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (77.8 KB, 19 views)