British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-09-16, 08:36 PM

No problem at all Yorkstone, nice to see someone with a bit of interest and passion about our insignia. Have you been collecting long?
Old 29-09-16, 08:59 PM

Default Why have I never seen this badge?

Does ANYONE have this badge in their collection? I just want to know if anyone has ever seen one at a fair or auction etc but it either went before they could get it or it was simply cost too much?

I've spent years searching but still no luck. I had my hands on one once as you can see, but it was museum property.

I just need a bit of encouragement and faith that somewhere out there one does exist lol. And yes, I know this is both the beauty, and the pain, of being a collector.

IMG-20120301-00078.jpg
Old 29-09-16, 09:22 PM

I've collected since 1966, mainly UK police but some prison service. I've never had in my possession or seen this King's Crown badge. This is in spite of having a large box of Crowns and other rank badges of various sizes and from different periods. I'm convinced that in many cases obsolete metalwork "badges, buttons etc". were scrapped as part of the war effort in both world conflicts and I feel sure that where particular badges are never, ever seen, their absence is as a result of mass destruction. In theory, examples should survive (you show a photo of one) but where are the others? The badge is so insignificant it may well be the case that nobody bothered keeping them when replacements came into use. I can offer no other explanation.

Dave.
Old 29-09-16, 09:26 PM

HMP Badges

Yes collecting military badges about 46 years and Prison service off and on since 1975 when my father joined.

I have some very nice post war caps all patens of ISM from its conception one to a Chief Officer all modern medals jubilees and LSGC in my collection,

Regards

Stephen
Old 29-09-16, 09:30 PM

You may be right Dave, the nearest I've come to it is a very similar Australian rank badge. I've also seen a few very nice HMP collections over the years, even photos of badge collections in frames from as far back as the 50's and 60's and this badge is always the one that is missing.
Old 30-09-16, 05:51 PM

The group of prison collectors are all known to each other even though we may not have not met each other personally and the badge we all want with a passion is the Edward VII one. There is also of course the Female Edward VIII but we wont go there.
I'm sure Dave's theory is the answer to as why they are not out there but I would never discount the fact that one might turn up in a fair or boot sale somewhere, someday.
Then we have the George V Crown version and this is where I have a rant, that The Galleries Of Justice the very custodians of our history had handed over on a plate to them by The Prison Service can't even get that badge listed or shown. One of the results of this was a long drawn out argument between myself and HMPbadges until he acknowledged I was right as to the badges authenticity and the museum still goes on showing the same display.
Here it is again, notice no lip at the bottom and the raised cushion within the crown .
Hwyl,
Bantam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg King George V.jpg (44.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-10-16, 02:21 PM

Here is a photograph of an Edwardian Prison Officer taken in a Newport, Isle of Wight studio so presumably working at H.M.P. Parkhurst.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prison Officer.jpg (102.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 10-10-16, 03:44 PM

Hi High Wood,
Thank you for posting. The photo is studio portrait taken post 1910 and the officer is wearing his greatcoat and that is the first one I've seen with epaulettes. I also notice with satisfaction that the badge matches my example and agree he probly worked at HMP Parkhurst.
Hwyl Bantam
Old 10-10-16, 08:52 PM

Brilliant photo High Wood, many thanks for posting.
Old 10-01-17, 12:39 PM

Smile HMP BADGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMPbadges View Post
Brilliant photo High Wood, many thanks for posting.
Hi ,just wondered if you could help me. I am currently looking to purchase a Chief Officers Wreath and just wondered if you might have one you would like to sell. Pelts.
Old 11-01-17, 08:05 PM

Hi Pelts,

No I'm sorry I've nothing spare. They do come up on Ebay now and then and of course there's the big militaria fairs around the country. I must warn you that they normally come attached to the entire hat so will cost a bit if the seller is aware of what it is.
Old 12-01-17, 07:53 PM

Hi Gents

Please excuse my ignorance concerning the brass Crowns mentioned, but is there any affinity at all with the various sized brass Crowns once worn as Army SNCO rank insignia?

GTB
Old 12-01-17, 08:06 PM

Hiya GTB,

No the single crown cap badges worn long ago by staff in HM Prison Service were unique to them and were of their own pattern.
Old 23-03-18, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil View Post
Just popped back to let prison badge collectors know that there is a new States of Jersey Prison Service cap badge, shoulder title, tie pin and Epaulette.

Not generally available these were introduced 2015/16
Hello Jermil,

I'll give you credit of course but can I have your permission to use your Jersey Prison insignia on my prison badge website please?

Garry
Old 23-03-18, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
About 25 years ago I was given a large gold bullion wire KC cap badge with an old label stuck to the back reading "H.M.P. Principal O". I'm attaching photo front and back alongside an old issue QC cap badge so you can judge the size. Presumably this KC badge would have been worn prior to the first issue custom made metal named KC badge with the EVIIIR centre? As an aside, the QC metal cap badge has been gilded.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I'll give you full credit of course but can I have your permission to use your Prison insignia on my prison badge website please? The bullion PO's cap badge in particular.

Garry