British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-08-13, 10:19 AM
Badge Guru

Default Parachute Regiment Officers Badges Circa WW2

Does anyone know what a Parachute Regiment officers badge looks like, that was worn on the maroon beret that would of actually been taken into the field during WW2?

Numerous collectors have voiced their doubts that silver hallmarked examples would of made the trip abroad.

I have had a look at Luc's album and he has numerous nickel die cast examples, are these officers badges?

And my final question is; What should a collector expect to pay for an officers badge of this period?

Thank you for your assistance.
Old 28-08-13, 10:34 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Does anyone know what a Parachute Regiment officers badge looks like, that was worn on the maroon beret that would of actually been taken into the field during WW2?

Numerous collectors have voiced their doubts that silver hallmarked examples would of made the trip abroad.

I have had a look at Luc's album and he has numerous nickel die cast examples, are these officers badges?

And my final question is; What should a collector expect to pay for an officers badge of this period?

JibbaJabba, a) There was a HMS version with a WWII hallmark date i.e. with a "KC", sold by Bosleys within the last year or so; b) whether it was worn or not - I would have thought unlikely for very obvious reasons. I am not sure whether Luc has a HMS KC version or not. I believe he has a HMS QEII version.
I would have thought (like most people) that anything that singles out - to the enemy - an officer, would not have been a very smart move.
I am sure there are others who will comment on this.
Price? depends on what the buyer wants to pay.
I do know that this particular WWII hallmarked badge price will be high. Possibly between 500 -> 1000. But, who knows. I cannot remember what the QEII crown version cost me about 10 years ago.
Good luck, david
Old 28-08-13, 11:13 AM
Badge Guru

Thanks for the reply Dave. I'm trying to steer clear of the silver hallmarked examples...too rich for me.

What I am interested in is the actual examples carried into combat by the officers at the various bridgeheads.

Are there any known good officers berets in the associated museums that might give evidence to suggest what was actually worn?

Does silver plate suggest officer purchase, like it does for almost every other wartime British Army unit of the period?
Old 28-08-13, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Dave. I'm trying to steer clear of the silver hallmarked examples...too rich for me.

What I am interested in is the actual examples carried into combat by the officers at the various bridgeheads.

Are there any known good officers berets in the associated museums that might give evidence to suggest what was actually worn?

Does silver plate suggest officer purchase, like it does for almost every other wartime British Army unit of the period?
Hi Jibba Jabba,

Silver plate Parachute Regiment badges were usually officers badges as were those made by Firmin and Ludlow, they would probably have been private purchase. Chairborne Militaria had a nice one for sale the other day which was of the same pattern as the HM silver ones by Gaunt and marked with a letter P for plated on the back. Expect to pay upwards of £150 for one.

I remember Graham Stewart posted some ACI documents here regarding an instruction about the wearing of other ranks badges by Parachute Regiment officers during the war, you should find it if you search his posts unless Graham reads this and gives an input. Perhaps some officers even wore the plastic version.

Jack
Old 28-08-13, 04:41 PM
Badge Guru

Thank you for the reply Jack, most informative.
Old 28-08-13, 05:05 PM

I would have thought (like most people) that anything that singles out - to the enemy - an officer, would not have been a very smart move.

If an officer of the Parachute Regiment got close enough to an enemy to permit his beret badge to be identified as either a. silver or silver plated or b, white metal - he would have been in serious trouble! If captured he could ditch his beret, but his status as an officer will be evident from his rank badges stitched to smock and/or BD and his ID discs. As for an ACI laying down the precise pattern of badge to be worn by officers of the Parachute Regiment, literally a waste of paper I would have thought. Pragmatism ruled. For example Capt John Killick FSO HQ 1 AB Div transferred to the Int Corps from the Suffolk Regiment, but out of discretion wore the Suffolks' badge at Arnhem - "just another staff officer" to his captors.

Last edited by Mike Jackson; 29-08-13 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 29-08-13, 07:10 PM

Officers had to pay for everything they wore, silver badges were worn overseas, as were the white metal examples made from the dies that normally cast silver badges that Ludlow used.
The nickel plated brass badges were normally worn by other ranks and are really quite common, though, they are, of course, quite nice things!
With regards to price, for wartime dated silver, these have become very expensive, I should think in terms of £400 plus these days, unless it is on it's beret, with a provenance, think about a four figure sum!

Quote:

Old 29-08-13, 07:25 PM

I think Bosleys last HM one went for £750
Old 29-08-13, 07:36 PM

A bit much, but then, the new global interest never ceases to amaze me, they were superb soldiers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan g View Post
I think Bosleys last HM one went for £750
Old 29-08-13, 07:41 PM

Then again, what is "too much" these days? a 1943 or 1944 hall marked example is a scarce thing now, it is a case of finding one to buy, I think!
Old 30-08-13, 05:58 AM

This 1945 HM example is up for graps at 750 but has been listed for over a year I think, so may be the bar is set too high. JB

http://www.buywyze.com/viewphoto.php...1019455&phqu=3
Old 30-08-13, 08:01 AM

I have to agree, I suppose if it were a 1943 example, you could say, well it is only bought once and just do it, but, it is all the money, though, you could pay at least that for an Indian one and I suspect a bit more these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamandJam View Post
This 1945 HM example is up for graps at 750 but has been listed for over a year I think, so may be the bar is set too high. JB

http://www.buywyze.com/viewphoto.php...1019455&phqu=3
Old 30-08-13, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I have to agree, I suppose if it were a 1943 example, you could say, well it is only bought once and just do it, but, it is all the money, though, you could pay at least that for an Indian one and I suspect a bit more these days.
I think if it was a 1943 one it would have sold straight away. I believe the earliest Birmingham Assay Office date letter for these is S which is 1942 - 43, followed by T 1943 - 44, U 1944 - 45 and V 1945 - 46.

I think the possibility that the V date letter example could be 1946 makes it less desirable in my opinion, and that is why the Buywyze one has not sold at that price.

I believe the silver plated Indian Para Officers badge by Gaunt on Buywyze recently sold for £750 in a short time.

Jack
Old 30-08-13, 07:34 PM

Hello Jack,
I don't think that £750 is over the top for an Indian example these days.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8 View Post
I think if it was a 1943 one it would have sold straight away. I believe the earliest Birmingham Assay Office date letter for these is S which is 1942 - 43, followed by T 1943 - 44, U 1944 - 45 and V 1945 - 46.

I think the possibility that the V date letter example could be 1946 makes it less desirable in my opinion, and that is why the Buywyze one has not sold at that price.

I believe the silver plated Indian Para Officers badge by Gaunt on Buywyze recently sold for £750 in a short time.

Jack
Old 31-08-13, 09:09 AM
Badge Guru

Does anyone have any idea who manufactured the nickel die cast silver plated badges with the 'embossed' canopy? No makers marks. Standard double lug arrangement.

I hope I am making sense to those of you who collect WW2 Parachute Regiment! So far no embossed canopy badges have ever been shown on the forum.

Sorry that pic is grain like, but I can assure you i've not mistaken this badge for sand cast, sweetheart or fantasy. I'm thinking about buying this one, simply because I cannot find its type on the net.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canopy.jpg (18.2 KB, 55 views)