British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-08-13, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Does anyone have any idea who manufactured the nickel die cast silver plated badges with the 'embossed' canopy? No makers marks. Standard double lug arrangement.

I hope I am making sense to those of you who collect WW2 Parachute Regiment! So far no embossed canopy badges have ever been shown on the forum.

Sorry that pic is grain like, but I can assure you i've not mistaken this badge for sand cast, sweetheart or fantasy. I'm thinking about buying this one, simply because I cannot find its type on the net.
I've not seen that before, perhaps others here have. Could you show a pic of the whole badge front and back?

If it's not expensive I would buy it as it is different, unless someone with more knowledge of it offers advice to the contrary.

Jack
Old 31-08-13, 08:29 PM

Maybe it's Indian, see the one posted by Silverwash in the current thread "Indian Para cap badge" The chute canopy looks something similar.

Jack
Old 01-09-13, 07:43 AM
Badge Guru

Thank you for the replies Jack.

I am going to go with this one because I've had so few replies and considering the number of interested parties on the forum I take that to be a good gauge of rarity.

Please allow me a few days to take delivery and also time to think how I am going to clean the badge. I promise I'll put up some good photographs in a few days time.

It could be an Indian piece there are some similarities. If however I were to resell it I do not think I could sell it as the rarer Indian variety as there is no 'India' tablet......unless of course your going to tell me in your next post that the early Indian badges were with out tablet?
Old 01-09-13, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the replies Jack.

I am going to go with this one because I've had so few replies and considering the number of interested parties on the forum I take that to be a good gauge of rarity.

Please allow me a few days to take delivery and also time to think how I am going to clean the badge. I promise I'll put up some good photographs in a few days time.

It could be an Indian piece there are some similarities. If however I were to resell it I do not think I could sell it as the rarer Indian variety as there is no 'India' tablet......unless of course your going to tell me in your next post that the early Indian badges were with out tablet?
No, I've never seen an Indian badge without the tablet "India", I was clutching at straws really because of the apparent similarities in the chute.

Good luck, I hope it turns out to be a good one.

Jack
Old 15-09-13, 02:13 PM
Badge Guru

Badge needed a professional to clean it, so what remains of the silver plate is retained. So, sorry it has taken me such a long to post back.

Can anyone hazard a guess who made this type with the embossed canopy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obverse.jpg (89.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg reverse.jpg (78.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 15-09-13, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know what a Parachute Regiment officers badge looks like, that was worn on the maroon beret that would of actually been taken into the field during WW2?

Numerous collectors have voiced their doubts that silver hallmarked examples would of made the trip abroad.

I have had a look at Luc's album and he has numerous nickel die cast examples, are these officers badges?

And my final question is; What should a collector expect to pay for an officers badge of this period?

Thank you for your assistance.

Hello Jibba Jabba,

Valid question indeed, I tend to agree with Frank who mentioned that officer’s paid for everything, therefore, would wear what they have. I can’t speak for officers of the Parachute Regiment directly, however, I do have several officer groups to members of 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion. One fellow initially wore a Bakelite cap badge overseas while other members wore their actual officer cap badge. My guess would be personal preference as opposed to following some ‘protocol’ at the time.

Cheers
Old 15-09-13, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Badge needed a professional to clean it, so what remains of the silver plate is retained. So, sorry it has taken me such a long to post back.

Indian bazaar made for British members of the Parachute Regiment serving in India.

Rgds,

Thomas.
Old 15-09-13, 07:55 PM
Badge Guru

Thank you Thomas. Is this a good find? Chatur Bihari & Bros. Aligarh?

Also, how long would it of been worn before the India tablet badges were introduced?

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 15-09-13 at 08:14 PM.
Old 15-09-13, 08:26 PM

Gents,

Please look at these PR cap badges. I assume that these would all classify as ‘officer quality’ cap badges?... These are a few that are on berets in my collection. I can tell you that the one with the string tag belonged to a very well known Brigadier. (nothing too fancy)

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 123.jpg (115.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 122.jpg (117.2 KB, 69 views)
Old 15-09-13, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
Gents,

Please look at these PR cap badges. I assume that these would all classify as ‘officer quality’ cap badges?... These are a few that are on berets in my collection. I can tell you that the one with the string tag belonged to a very well known Brigadier. (nothing too fancy)

Cheers
Yes they are all officers badges in my opinion. They are all very nice badges too and scarcely seen for sale.

Going clockwise starting with the top left no 1 is marked P and is a silver plated example by JR Gaunt who marked their badges in this manner. numbers 2 and 3 are an identical pattern to 1 although I cannot see the letter P, they are probably silver or silver plated again by Gaunt.

Number 4 looks to be an unmarked Firmin one of unknown silver content.

Numbers 5 and 6 looked to be marked Ludlow London who mainly made officers badges, they are also of an unknown silver content.

Quite a valuable lot when you add them up, the last P marked Gaunt one I saw for sale went for £180.

Regards,
Jack.
Old 15-09-13, 09:05 PM

Quote:

As already stated probably a locally made Indian example. It does look to be of officer construction especially the back but with Indian badges I am never sure.

A nice badge that I would be happy to own.

Jack
Old 15-09-13, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8 View Post
Yes they are all officers badges in my opinion. They are all very nice badges too and scarcely seen for sale.

Going clockwise starting with the top left no 1 is marked P and is a silver plated example by JR Gaunt who marked their badges in this manner. numbers 2 and 3 are an identical pattern to 1 although I cannot see the letter P, they are probably silver or silver plated again by Gaunt.

Number 4 looks to be an unmarked Firmin one of unknown silver content.

Numbers 5 and 6 looked to be marked Ludlow London who mainly made officers badges, they are also of an unknown silver content.

Quite a valuable lot when you add them up, the last P marked Gaunt one I saw for sale went for £180.

Regards,
Jack.

Excellent information you provided Jack! Greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 15-09-13, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Thank you Thomas. Is this a good find? Chatur Bihari & Bros. Aligarh?

Also, how long would it of been worn before the India tablet badges were introduced?
There were quite a few different makers and not all of them marked their badges.
The Indian tablet was only worn by Indian personnel, the British never wore the Indian Parachute Regiment badge, as far as I know.
Indian Parachute Regiment formed December 1944 disbanded October 1946.

Rgds,

Thomas.

Last edited by fougasse1940; 15-09-13 at 11:53 PM.
Old 16-09-13, 08:17 AM
Badge Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
There were quite a few different makers and not all of them marked their badges.
The Indian tablet was only worn by Indian personnel, the British never wore the Indian Parachute Regiment badge, as far as I know.
Indian Parachute Regiment formed December 1944 disbanded October 1946.

Rgds,

Thomas.
Thank you again Thomas.

I am happy that I appear to of inadvertently discovered something that not everyone has in their collections.

I have a few bazaar made badge to other units but the quality of this one had me fooled. The example shown on the other thread appears to have wings of an unequal length. I guess the tell tale sign is the file marks on the tip of one of the wings, as a result of casting.

What also surprise me is that the Indians bothered to silver plate. I have only seen solid unmarked silver or white metal badges before.

The reverse impression also seems to have a remarkable similarity with officer badges.

Now it is just a waiting game to see if anyone out there has an example identical to my own.