British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-12-23, 11:02 AM

Default Capt. Thomas Harold Thomas

Hi,
I am aware this is not a medal site but do know that there are knowleable medal collectors here who may be able to assist with a query I have.

I got a set of medals (1914-15 Star, War medal and Victory medal, 1935 Jubilee Medal and 1937 Coronation Medal) about 15 years ago to a Capt. Thomas in the IMS (so I was told at the time)

I recently started researching the medals to verify what I had.

Thomas Harold Thomas was born 23/08/1891 in Carmarthenthire, Wales and qualified MRCS London 1914, LRCP London 1914, MRCP London 1927.
He received his 3 WWI medals for service with the RAMC in Egypt.

He married Bessie Moran (ex VAD nurse) in Lancashire during the 2nd quarter of 1919 and they moved to India with appointment as Captain, in the Indian Medical Service from 01/08/1923. Promoted to Major 08/04/1930 and Acting Lt-col in 1936. Appointed Lt-Col 08/04/1938. As far as I can ascertain he served throughout the war in Darjeeling.

After the war they settled in East London, South Africa and he passed away in December 1956. They did not have any children and I believe Bessie may have returned to the UK as I cannot find a death notice or burial record for her in South Africa.

My Question is:
For his service during WWII, what medals may he have been issued with as there were no WWII medals in the group I received. I doubt he saw any action so that may exclude WWII Stars, but I would think he may be entitled to the War Medal and Defence Medal.
Any assistance in verifying his WWII entitlement is appreciated.

Steve