British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-02-18, 04:55 PM

Question Three Essex Badges for comment

I am currently sorting out my Essex badges and would welcome members comments on these three which I think two are officers.

The first is die-struck in what appears to be white metal and has blades with a bronze finish.

The second badge is die-cast in white metal, two loops E-W have been replaced and may not be the original fixing.

The third badge appears to be cast in silver from an other ranks cap badge as the blowholes and slider stub are still visible.

Your thoughts welcomed.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010916.jpg (60.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg P1010917.jpg (50.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg P1010918.jpg (60.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg P1010919.jpg (63.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg P1010922.jpg (64.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg P1010923.jpg (65.6 KB, 84 views)
Old 24-02-18, 08:01 AM

Rob, I love these sorts of things - I have quite a few KLR examples. I'm quite sure that they are NOT modern fakes. I would guess that no 1 is a hasty commission ! no 2 is a theatre made badge and no 3 is probably the same for an officer - a new one !?
Old 24-02-18, 01:38 PM

Hi Rob
None of your badges are for officers.
The tail should be facing back to its bum. The first badge is a repo, 2 and 3 are theatre made from O/R badges.
Regards Terry
Old 24-02-18, 05:20 PM

Smile Essex badges

Gentlemen, my thanks for your thoughts, the first badge ticks no boxes as it completely defies all logic regarding officers badges and their construction.

The other two are as Terry says "theatre made" and I have a Cambridgeshire Regt badge cast from an other ranks cap badge in a similar fashion as the third badge.

I would be interested to find out if anybody else has a version of the first badge or have encountered other ones before, I have had it for a long time which I know does not mean much as to being an original and I have never seen another.

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 26-02-18 at 09:22 PM.
Old 25-02-18, 02:27 AM

Default Threee Essex

I will agree that none of these badges appear to be issue items. I have a specimen of the first which has been blackened and had lugs fitted.

The way the tail faces is immaterial to me. The 1903 sealed pattern (photo attached courtesy of regimental museum) shows the OSD bronze badge with tail facing the head. It will be noted that it is very similar in proportions to the first badge in this post, apart from being pierced between the castle turrets and wreath. The anodised OR badge also had the tail facing the head.

The tail facing the rear is mainly found on patterns produced with the broad castle (OSD) and later silver or silver plate versions which have the narrower wreath (frequently Gaunt, Ludlow or J&CO made).

Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Essex Regiment s.p.s 012.jpg (57.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 25-02-18, 09:05 AM

Hello Stephen
I have over twenty Essex officers cap badges all with different variations.
I have a badge similar to Robs but mine has a gap between the castle and oak leaves, the tail is pointing forward and it has blades. It is the same size as the O/R cap badge, all the officers badges I have, are smaller than the O/R and the tail points to the rear. The A/A badge you refer with the tail pointing forward is for the O/R not officers.
Regards Terry
PS Don't swim in Queensland waters the crocks will get you: D
Old 25-02-18, 09:12 PM

Smile Essex officers badges

I have two large OSD's which are the same size as the normal OR's with one to compare them by and four smaller, three different OSD's and a silver gilt.

The larger OSD's have tails which point towards the head as do the OR's, the smaller ones point the other way.

Going back to my first post I do wonder whether an OR's would have bothered to get his badge cast in silver or indeed white metal, especially as bi-metal badges were worn by them at that time, I have a sandcast bi-metal badge complete with blowholes which I will have to dig out.

Again comments welcomed.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010924.jpg (53.9 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 25-02-18 at 10:27 PM.
Old 25-02-18, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
I will agree that none of these badges appear to be issue items. I have a specimen of the first which has been blackened and had lugs fitted.

The way the tail faces is immaterial to me. The 1903 sealed pattern (photo attached courtesy of regimental museum) shows the OSD bronze badge with tail facing the head. It will be noted that it is very similar in proportions to the first badge in this post, apart from being pierced between the castle turrets and wreath. The anodised OR badge also had the tail facing the head.

The tail facing the rear is mainly found on patterns produced with the broad castle (OSD) and later silver or silver plate versions which have the narrower wreath (frequently Gaunt, Ludlow or J&CO made).

Stephen.
Thats a very nice lot.
Andy
Old 19-03-18, 05:22 PM

Default Opinions on my three Essex badges

The first is die-struck in what appears to be white metal and has blades with a bronze finish.

The second badge is die-cast in white metal, two loops E-W have been replaced and may not be the original fixing.

The third badge appears to be cast in silver from an other ranks cap badge as the blowholes and slider stub are still visible.

Having been in touch with another Essex badge collector and he confirmed that the first was a fake which Terry had already mentioned.

The second badge may not have started life as a cap badge and apparently there is no record of a white metal cap badge being worn by regular Essex Btns, as I put the loops on this for displaying this has probably muddied the waters and it may well have been part of a car badge.

The third badge has now been tested as silver which I think was made locally for either a senior NCO or Officer. My opinion of this is that it's not a fake, or if it is it's an expensive one.

Rob
Old 20-03-18, 07:06 PM

Cool Silver cast Essex badge

I have had further correspondence from a very experienced Essex collector:-

The 2nd battalion was overseas 1919-36 so it may have been made for one
of their officers during that period. I don't think it would have been
worn 14-18 or 39-45 as bronze badges were worn with khaki though it
could have been for the purple and dark ble field service cap. An
interesting specimen.

Rob