British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Photographs of Australian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-10-11, 01:56 AM

Hi Dean

I'm just getting round to reading your answer. I'll try to get a much more skilled colleague to help me put pictures of the two badges side by side and then you'll see what I mean. The "giveaway" is that open work area you can see in the centre AND the placing of the badge on the uniform.

Old 10-05-15, 01:14 AM

After a extended absence from the forum I've just stumbled upon this topic and thought I'd give it a another airing.

On 14 Jul 15 Spr Page was wounded (spinal injury) on Gallipoli, and eventually evacuated to England. Spr Page embarked from England on 7 Nov 15, arriving in Australia on 21 Dec 15, Spr Page returned to duty on 16 Mar 16 and re-embarked again for England on 7 Oct 16.

The four inverted cheverons and grenade badge, worn on the lower right arm, signify a Company Quartermaster Sergeant of Engineers. According to Spr Page's service record his promotions and reductions read as follows -

Sapper - 31 Aug 14
Acting Corporal (Voyage Only) - c.7 Oct 16
Lance Corporal - 5 Jan 17
2nd Corporal - 3 Sep 18
Temporary Corporal - 27 Jan 19
Canteen Sergeant - c.19 Jun 19
Discharged - 19 Oct 19

The only thing I can think of as to why he is wearing the rank of a CQMS is that the appointment as 'Canteen Sergeant' equates itself to a CQMS.

Dean, you say the card states his rank as Sgt of Corporals, are you sure it doesn't read 'Second Corporal'?

Finally, there was a very interesting story on 60 Minutes (25 Apr 2015) in which it was stated the 1st Field Company Engineers accompanied the covering force (the first wave) at the landing at Anzac, so Howard Page may well have been amongst the first to land, if you get a chance watch it.

Dan
Old 10-05-15, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Hi all,

A bloke goes to work for the day and you chaps uncover so much information! Fantastic. Read his service record and what a story indeed. The writing is pretty hard to read on the original Archive card so I had the rank wrong, his service record has his red and blue chevrons noted.

Will have to read again, so Engineers wore their own badges overseas and not a Rising Sun.

Much of interest and special thanks to Mick for the service record, cheers Dean.
Hi Dean,

The issue collar badge was the small oxidised copper rising sun. It was the practice, particularly amongst the earlier contingents for individuals to wear the CMF collar badges of the same corps with which they were serving - it is pretty common for instance to see Aust Field Artillery, Aust Engineers and AAMC collars worn, plus the artillery sergeants' sleeve gun was worn as a cap badge. I think a recent photo on ebay was of an AASC bloke with corps collars.

There were a number of orders issued by HQ AIF, and other formation headquarters attempting to stop the practice but like the corps numerals on the shoulder straps it no doubt persisted throughout the war.
Old 18-10-17, 02:56 AM

Default Australian Returned Soldier's Association

Hi all

Having finally worked out how to upload photos, here is a picture of the New South Wales Returned Soldier's Association badge that is being worn by the Australian Engineer.

For a "personalised" version you can see that one has been engraved "S. SUTTON". This would possibly be Sidney SUTTON from New South Wales.

Also see the uncommon silver Western Australia RSA badge. There is a spare one of these available for a really good trade. PM me if interested!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsansw.jpg (34.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg rsansw1.jpg (32.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg rsansw2.jpg (24.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg rsansw3.jpg (16.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg rsansw4.jpg (19.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 18-10-17, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Dean,

The thing about the Ozzie is they didn't really abide by any regulations in regards badge placement. Those chevrons are most likely for good conduct, as service chevrons which denote the years served are usually a lot smaller. British soldiers wore good conduct stripes on the other arm.

The badge on the pocket is probably the Australian Returned From Active Service badge.

The shoulder title is in fact an engineers title: ENGRS Must be missing from your book. Not sure about this since your picture is the size of a postage stamp, you need to check the papers for units served.
No the chevrons are for overseas service if served Gallipoli bottom chev is red the other ones are blue it denotes 4 years service O/S

see photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5310.jpg (72.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 18-10-17, 10:01 AM

Many thanks, some excellent badges again.

Thanks also Jacker for the correcting info

Cheers, Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi all

Having finally worked out how to upload photos, here is a picture of the New South Wales Returned Soldier's Association badge that is being worn by the Australian Engineer.

For a "personalised" version you can see that one has been engraved "S. SUTTON". This would possibly be Sidney SUTTON from New South Wales.

Also see the uncommon silver Western Australia RSA badge. There is a spare one of these available for a really good trade. PM me if interested!
Old 19-10-17, 01:22 AM

Hi all

Just a thought, but the RASB badge is solid whereas the NSW RSA badge is voided as per my scans although they are similar in size and shape.

Maybe a better quality pic would solve this question?
Old 19-10-17, 10:45 AM

To my eyes, both pics seem to indicate voids in the badges, so I'd also go with RSA

Cheers, Tim

Tags
corps of engineers