British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-10-17, 06:29 PM

Default Free French Medical Services Female Badges

Not quite sure where to post this. These items are part of a group to include uniform and head wear. It would appear to be a FF female volunteer serving in England during the war.

If any any viewers can tell me what the French badges are or represent. All are numbered as can be seen.

The women's name appears on the document. The uniform is named to Mrs. Patchell which matches a portion of the name on the document. The ribbons in the picture which I have are for British WW1 service.

If anyone has any ideas or help in translation of the document I will be very appreciative.

thanks
Jack

Last edited by irish; 09-10-17 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 07:54 PM

Nice little group of interesting items Jack. Thanks for sharing.
Andy
Old 07-10-17, 10:07 PM

A little (very little) more about the lady.

http://www.francaislibres.net/liste/...hp?index=76910
Old 08-10-17, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder1916 View Post
A little (very little) more about the lady.

http://www.francaislibres.net/liste/...hp?index=76910
Thank you that is very helpful. Interesting in that she was Turkish. It appears she served in WW1. I will post the uniform soon

Best
Jack
Old 08-10-17, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
. . . Interesting in that she was Turkish. . . .
I wouldn't automatically label her "Turkish" simply because she was born in that country. My speculation is that her "European" (maybe British or French) parents were living there when she was born. A not unusual occurrence. According to the document she was "veuve" (widow) Patchell and "née" (born) Simmons, so two other names associated with her.

Is the document a photocopy of an original? It would be interesting to know if De Gaulle's handwritten comments (and especially his signature) were unique to that specific document or if it was a common sentiment on a mass produced item that simply had the soldier's name added later.
Old 08-10-17, 01:16 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't automatically label her "Turkish" simply because she was born in that country. My speculation is that her "European" (maybe British or French) parents were living there when she was born. A not unusual occurrence. According to the document she was "veuve" (widow) Patchell and "née" (born) Simmons, so two other names associated with her.

Is the document a photocopy of an original? It would be interesting to know if De Gaulle's handwritten comments (and especially his signature) were unique to that specific document or if it was a common sentiment on a mass produced item that simply had the soldier's name added later.
Yes I agree as to your thoughts on her nationality a bit of a rush on my part. I need to look closer at the document, at first glance it looked original however it may be a copy. I have what appears to be the uniform worn in the picture.

In considering her ribbon bar she must have served in WW1 with the British military. More to your point as to nationality.

Thanks
Jack
Old 08-10-17, 09:22 AM

Quote:

The name sounds Slavic, maybe Bulgarian. As Bulgaria did not exist at the time of her birth she would have been an Ottoman subject. My Maternal Grandfather was born in Smyrna in the 1880s (Ethnic Bulgarian father and Maltese mother) and emigrated to Alexandria as an Ottoman subject in 1906. He badgered the Bulgarian representatives in Egypt during the 1920-1930s to be declared Bulgarian and eventually got his wish - just as Bulgaria joined the Axis powers. He then became an enemy alien. My father had to go through the British Army type hoops to get permission to marry my mother. And here I am!