British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-02-13, 02:38 PM

Default Royal Marines beret badges???

Hi Guy's,
How can I tell the difference in the ages of QE2 RM beret badges? I need a pre 1963 but know what to look for. Also if you are at a loose end, how can you work out the age of KC RM beret badges.
Cheers
Irv
Old 09-02-13, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
Hi Guy's,
How can I tell the difference in the ages of QE2 RM beret badges? I need a pre 1963 but know what to look for. Also if you are at a loose end, how can you work out the age of KC RM beret badges.
Cheers
Irv
Irv

Telling the difference in ages of QE2 badges could be difficult and involve a certain amount of guess work as it covers the period late 1953 to present day. The specific period you mention, pre 1963 does however make it easier. The QE2 badges came into use from late 1953 and were gilding metal for other ranks, gilt for SNCOs, 2 piece in gilt for quartermaster sergeants and 2 piece in gilt & silver for officers. There was also a 1 piece bronze version for other ranks and SNCOs and a 2 piece bronze badge for WOs & Officers. The badge you are looking for should be one of those because from late 1963 anodised aluminium badges were introduced.

A few references and pictures attached below (the 2 piece bronze badge shown is not pre 1963 but gives you an idea of what it should look like)

http://www.rmhistorical.com/images/R...018-6-1923.pdf

http://www.rmhistorical.com/images/A...019-6-1953.pdf

http://www.rmhistorical.com/images/A...201-2-1963.pdf

Paddy
Old 09-02-13, 03:51 PM

Cheers Paddy,
Am I correct in saying that the lions tail should always be pierced? If they aren't they are re strikes or fakes??
Regards
Irv
Old 09-02-13, 04:01 PM

Irv

I have a King's crown gilding metal and a King's crown bronze badge with unpierced tail. I always considered them to be wrong but kept them all the same for reference. These days more and more dealers seem to be selling them as genuine so I am not 100% sure either way but I would shy away from spending a lot of money on an unpierced badge. The main thing I've noticed with the unpierced badges is that there is a lot less definition to the rear of the badge compared to a good pierced version, especially around the back of the crown and globe.

Paddy
Old 09-02-13, 04:11 PM

I agree Paddy. I've noticed the same which is why I haven't bothered with them. Most of my beret badges are KC so when I came to need a early QC I was unsure how to tell??
Irv
Old 09-02-13, 05:23 PM

The 1953 document says that patterns for the new badge were being sourced but when were they approved? It also says that old stocks are to be used up so a KC badge would still be correct for some time after 1953.
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 09-02-13, 05:37 PM

Lee

Agreed about the KC but in theory the QC could have been worn from late 1953 if they were issued in time, unless someone can confirm it either way it is a bit of guess work.

Paddy
Old 09-02-13, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Lee

Agreed about the KC but in theory the QC could have been worn from late 1953 if they were issued in time, unless someone can confirm it either way it is a bit of guess work.

Paddy
I'm not sure either, but reading threads on other regiments, some new pattern badges were not issued for some time, I think I read that one yeomanry regiment didn't get theirs until after 1960!
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 09-02-13, 10:59 PM

So by 1963 they should have been wearing the QC then? 10 years after introduction of the QC the KC should have been fazed out?
Irv