British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 25-03-17, 02:43 PM

Default Just wondering

I'm getting a little confused , I thought that I was logging onto the British and Commonwealth Badge Forum - seems I was mistaken and the forum is now the Imperial War Museum photo archive.
Jo, I'm sure you mean well and that the images are very interesting but enough is enough - can we focus on badges now please ?
PL
Old 25-03-17, 02:45 PM

I have to admit, I was wondering a similar thing.
Old 25-03-17, 02:57 PM

Agreed, getting a bit tiresome. And somewhat lacking in imagination.
Old 25-03-17, 03:06 PM

Afraid I have to disagree here gentlemen. I find Jo's IWM posts not only interesting and often thought-provoking, but being military-related, they offer and open up (for me at least) insights into areas of historical militaria I would otherwise not be exposed to.

Yes, I can trawl through the IWM archives at my own leisure if I so wish, but I think in taking the time and making the effort to do this himself, Jo has provided a wealth of material that has generated a lot of fascinating discussions and engaged many of us in conversations with each other we otherwise might not have had.

JT
Old 25-03-17, 03:21 PM

And that JT is my point, if I wish to view the IWM photo Archive then I can do that , I choose however to be a member of a badge forum.
PL
Old 25-03-17, 03:27 PM

I understand the problem and think that if we are to be bombarded with these never ending series of photos that they should have their own section on the Forum so that those who choose not to view them can just ignore that section and just get on with badges.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 25-03-17, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
And that JT is my point, if I wish to view the IWM photo Archive then I can do that , I choose however to be a member of a badge forum.
PL
Agreed, and point duly taken, Paul.

From my perspective, I see this forum as encompassing a wide range of military-related topics, and not just devoted specifically to badges, hence the many sub-forums available for us all to enjoy.

Yes, the forum is named 'The British and Commonwealth Military BADGE Forum', but given the overwhelming number of non-badge conversations that occur here on a daily basis, I log on expecting to be exposed to other areas of militaria, which do and do not cross over into badge territory, as it were.

I can choose not to open threads/posts which do not interest me; something I do all the time. I take your point and respect it completely, but I do often think we are fortunate not to have to restrict our discussions, debates, posts, threads and opinions exclusively to badges. For me that ensures the forum is a more rounded, better-informed destination for those with a love of the hobby.

I like Jo's IWM posts; I think they enrich the forum rather than impoverish it.

JT
Old 25-03-17, 03:48 PM

Thank you gents for your comments. As of now I will cease and desist in posting NOT STRICTLY badge(s) related photos.........since it has become so controversial to post something not badge(s) related....Funny thing is another on a FWW canadian website I was told it was advisable to post photos of strictly canadian subject(s)....

Jo

Thank you JT for your comments.

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 25-03-17, 04:05 PM

Thank you Jo for drawing our attention to an interesting archive. Some of the photos have been interesting, particularly if they show a badge or two, so that we can see them in use; however, I have to agree, enough is enough, as it's become very tedious.

Thanks also for being so understanding and backing off.

David
Old 25-03-17, 05:38 PM

Thank you for your comments and, see you in Ottawa where you will be able to expand on this subject if you choose to do so .
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 25-03-17, 06:07 PM

Membership of the forum is free. The idea of getting something for nothing and then complaining about it is beyond me. .
Old 25-03-17, 06:46 PM

In my humble opinion if you want more threads on badges you need to start some, I would like to thank Jo for supplying something new to look at each time I log on.

Rob
Old 25-03-17, 06:47 PM

There are already four places to post photographs in the British, Canadian, Australian and South African sections and there is also the everything else section, I agree, it would certainly be better to stick to the specific section rather than post them everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
I understand the problem and think that if we are to be bombarded with these never ending series of photos that they should have their own section on the Forum so that those who choose not to view them can just ignore that section and just get on with badges.

regards
Old 25-03-17, 06:49 PM

Nobody is forced to look at Jo's posts. If you don't want to then don't! I find them interesting. Thanks Joe for the time you take in posting them.

Dave.
Old 25-03-17, 06:57 PM

I would like to thank Jo for his posts, I have found that they have enriched this badge forum.
Sorry he has been forced to desist.
A pity.
Dan
Closed Thread