British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-07-12, 09:56 PM

Default RASC Tommy hat

Hi,
It's always nice to find a Tommy helmet with a nice Div Sign on it,Liner marked 1942 and with its original chin strap too. Worn and been there look to it. My Dad was in the RASC during WW2 and saw service on D-day and into Holland and Germany,he crewed a Bren Carrier,as the gunner.
Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RASC TOMMY HAT 020 (Copy).jpg (49.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg RASC TOMMY HAT 021 (Copy).jpg (44.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg RASC TOMMY HAT 022 (Copy).jpg (50.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-07-12, 09:45 AM

Default British RASC helmet from Normandy

Hello,

This is the RASC lid my own grandfather found in the little Norman village of Couvains (Orne) in 1944. It might have been your Dad's!

Best regards,

Didier

Old 10-07-12, 01:48 PM

Looks really good. I have seen another with the same flash today, posted on a different forum and also said to be RASC.

Regards,

Jerry

Didier has already posted it!

Last edited by JerryBB; 10-07-12 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-07-12, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier View Post
Hello,

This is the RASC lid my own grandfather found in the little Norman village of Couvains (Orne) in 1944. It might have been your Dad's!

Best regards,

Didier

Hi Didier,
Are you serious!! This hat was found by your Grandfather,what a small world we live in. The power of the forum never ceases to amaze me. Do you have any photos at all,I would love to know its history from when it was found.
Regards,Ivan
Old 11-07-12, 01:27 PM

Hello Ivan,

I don't know much about the history of this 'family helmet', apart from the fact that it was found by my grandfather in Couvains (Orne), the little Norman village where my mother's family lived at the time of the Battle of Normandy. My family always referred to it as 'le casque de Couvains', i.e. 'the Couvains helmet'. It is a British Mk II helmet produced by Ro & Co (= Rubery Owen & Co Ltd) in 1941, from what I was able to read on the lid. The interior and the chin straps of the helmet are absent - maybe they were re-used in some way or other by my grandfather, I cannot tell, really.

Here is a link to the original thread I posted on another forum before somebody told me about yours --> http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/helmet...1944-a-196746/

Best regards,

Didier
Old 16-07-12, 07:49 AM

Default The family helmet

Hello Didier

I had a look at your helmets flash. It's a bit hard to tell but I wonder if the colours were originally BLACK, GOLD & RED which were the REME's. (They are now Blue. Gold & red). Nice helmet though.