British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-05-13, 07:08 PM

Default Air dispatch 47 A/D

Hi hope you don,t mind if I post these for Ken cheers billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020243.jpg (94.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg P1020244.jpg (108.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-05-13, 01:19 AM

Great badges Billy, and a nice MAD badge too ....... So ? did the AD's also wear the Combined forces patches in these images as well ?
Old 10-05-13, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken View Post
Great badges Billy, and a nice MAD badge too ....... So ? did the AD's also wear the Combined forces patches in these images as well ?
Hi Ken,

In the 70's we had one Lance Corporal who wore a winged Pegusus badge on his Denison smock. He was pulled up one by a Major for wearing it but gave an explanation (which I forget what it was) and was given the OK to carry on.

Regards

Chris
Old 10-05-13, 05:26 AM

At one point our Major (?) wore a beret made up of Two one black (RCT) and the Maroon (Airbourne) because up till a certain date he had to abandon the Airbourne one he used to wear for the Black RCT! his way of having a hissey fit! as he had been Airbourne for most of his career he thought it a come-down to be made to wear Black (RCT), as to patchs Ken I only rememberseeing 47 AD wings and Yellow Dakota on the lads Dennison Jackets, the combined ops badge was from JSHSU (Joint Helicopter Support Unit) Think thats right the other combined op badge with different colours are in use now with JATE personnel on there DPM,s being a combined Service Unit, unfortunately thats all I have from my time there could have had a lot more but at the time only collected Metal badges! the Herc Stretch team badge worn on Overalls! hope this helps cheers billy
Old 10-05-13, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Ken,

In the 70's we had one Lance Corporal who wore a winged Pegusus badge on his Denison smock. He was pulled up one by a Major for wearing it but gave an explanation (which I forget what it was) and was given the OK to carry on.

Regards

Chris
Going back on my earlier post - I remember now; the officer involved was not a Major but a Brigadier who had dropped by very unexpectedly. I know as I was the first of our group to notice him and though who's that bloke with the red bits on his collar and I then went up to see who he was.

Highest ranking officer I ever saluted...

Regards

Chris
Old 10-05-13, 06:32 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
At one point our Major (?) wore a beret made up of Two one black (RCT) and the Maroon (Airbourne) because up till a certain date he had to abandon the Airbourne one he used to wear for the Black RCT! his way of having a hissey fit! as he had been Airbourne for most of his career he thought it a come-down to be made to wear Black (RCT), as to patchs Ken I only rememberseeing 47 AD wings and Yellow Dakota on the lads Dennison Jackets, the combined ops badge was from JSHSU (Joint Helicopter Support Unit) Think thats right the other combined op badge with different colours are in use now with JATE personnel on there DPM,s being a combined Service Unit, unfortunately thats all I have from my time there could have had a lot more but at the time only collected Metal badges! the Herc Stretch team badge worn on Overalls! hope this helps cheers billy
Billy,
that "Black" beret would have been dark blue, black only being worn by RTR!

Best regards - Andy
Old 10-05-13, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Thanks for the update Billy, All interesting stuff, I'll make a note of it all.

Most Airborne guys hated being a "HAT" but it comes around in a Corps, as you'll be posted from one unit to another, being a senior Officer should have made him aware of this.
It never detracted from the point he was "Airborne & P Coy Trained" that's why they were allowed to wear their "Trade Para Wings".
Old 10-05-13, 04:43 PM

My original JSHU Patch says RCT - RAF

Later examples say ARMY - RAF

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 10-05-13 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-05-13, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Going back on my earlier post - I remember now; the officer involved was not a Major but a Brigadier who had dropped by very unexpectedly. I know as I was the first of our group to notice him and though who's that bloke with the red bits on his collar and I then went up to see who he was.

Highest ranking officer I ever saluted...

Regards

Chris
Only vaguely relevant, but in 1990, General Mike Wilkes (late RA and former CO 22 SAS and Director SAS) had a beret in his office (not worn as far as I know), half SAS sand and half RM green. It was badged SAS. I assume it was a presentation piece.
Old 11-05-13, 08:22 AM

I think the Major was called Horden? if any help to you