British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-04-09, 05:36 PM

Default Liverpool Irish Piper

I had always know that the officers of the Liverpool Irish from its reforming in 1939 had worn Kings Liverpool osd collar badges, but the attached picture taken from a larger picture of the Liverpool Irish band shows that pipers sometimes wore Kings Liverpool bi metal collar badges.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8th_Irish_Band.jpg (6.7 KB, 131 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 03-09-12, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I had always know that the officers of the Liverpool Irish from its reforming in 1939 had worn Kings Liverpool osd collar badges, but the attached picture taken from a larger picture of the Liverpool Irish band shows that pipers sometimes wore Kings Liverpool bi metal collar badges.

P.B.
when i joined as a boy in 1953 the regt had only reformed in 1947 to the 626 RA,TA.8th Liverpool Irish the pipe band was pretty much new most of the band had come from the Liverpool friary at this time the pipers wore the saffron kilt/ ww1 service jacket/ the shawl was made from army blankets and dyed green the shawl brooch was made from aluminun teapot lids/ regular issue belt blancoed white/ caubeen the hackle was green over red/ socks were middle east issue dyed green / regular issue boots and puttees/ at this time the regimental badge was worn with a plate cut into the shape of a shamrock for the background the large band badge didnt come into play untill 1957 when they became 470 regt the drummers all wore regular army uniform with belts and gaiters blancoed white all collar badges were the artillary bomb/ your photo would appear to be that of the pipe major of the 5th liverpool irish before the war regards eric fawcett
Old 21-09-12, 11:45 PM

Quote:

P.B.
i have a very funny feeling the photo you have is that of Colonel McLennon dressed up for a picture in the band uniform when it was first issued in Shaw st barracks i would say circa 1957 what gives me the clue is the background it looks very much like the gunners canteen which i along with many more gunners decorated the place to look georgian this canteen saw many a saturday night bingo and self entertainment for both officers and gunners
Eric Fawcett
Old 22-09-12, 06:47 AM

Eric,

Here is the full picture.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Irish.jpg (52.5 KB, 53 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 23-09-12, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Eric,

Here is the full picture.

Peter
my funny feeling proved wrong although he does look like Col Mac it is not the gunners canteen but it could be the officers mess this PM is not recognizable to me i am going on the uniform the band didnt get this uniform he is wearing till circa 1960 and the PM then was Joe Morrissey (who he isnt) possibility is he is PM of the Irish Regiment on its way to Middle East being entertained by the Regiment before sailing Eric
Old 29-06-13, 05:44 PM

[QUOTE your photo would appear to be that of the pipe major of the 5th liverpool irish before the war regards eric fawcett[/QUOTE]
Eric,
Do you know which battalions of the Liverpool Irish had Pipes & Drums before the war? I would also be interested in names of the Pipe Majors.
Aad
Old 29-06-13, 06:13 PM

Aad.

I think the reference to the 5th Liverpool Irish was an error, there was only ever the 8th Irish battalion, which formed Pipes and Drums on being reformed in 1939 something which they did not previously have.

See article in MHS Bulletin N0 230 " Pipes and Drums of the Liverpool Irish" by Peter Brydon.

Hopefully Eric will see this and give you the information you want, I understand that the first Pipe Major was called Con Doyle ( his brothers Barney and Phil were I believe also pipers ) See " The Liverpool Irish Volunteers in WW2" by Frank Forde- an article in The Irish Sword

P.B.

Old 29-06-13, 06:26 PM

Here is a better picture of a soldier of the Liverpool Irish battalion post 1939 wearing the 8th Irish cap badge on the caubeen and other ranks Kings Liverpool collars.

P.B.