British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-05-18, 08:09 AM

Default LAPD Retired Sergeant Shield.

I was given this (by the original recipient) two days ago - a "Sun Badge Co." piece he believes that this particular style of manufacture was probably short lived.
Apparently known to recipients as "the money clip" and 2/3rds the size of the serving officer's shield, it's still an impressive and weighty piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LAPD Retired Sergeant Shield 002.jpg (77.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg LAPD Retired Sergeant Shield 003.jpg (37.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg LAPD Retired Sergeant Shield 004.jpg (61.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 21-05-18, 03:31 PM

Aren't all LAPD shields owned by the City? I was told many years ago that a fanatical Police collector finally managed to acquire a real one, but LAPD found out about it and sent somebody to collect it. It had been taken off a murdered officer.
Is this true?
What's the legal status of this shield - was he allowed to sell it?
Not a Police collector myself, but know a few.

Ian H
Old 21-05-18, 03:58 PM

There are laws concerning sale and purchase of shields, I'm not familiar with the basics let alone the minutae of the legislation.
I'm not sure why you'd think I'd be familiar with an American murder case, but as it happens I do remember reading of a case where a police officer was shot and killed after a car he was pursuing crashed. His shield was presented to nok. Years later a volunteer police officer was found to be in possession of a shield to the dead officer when his car was searched. He was about 12 or 13 years old at the time of the original incident. He refused to explain how he came to be in possession of the item and was required to resign. He later claimed that he had been given the shield by the police department in order to get some kind of replicas run off for charity purposes. The dead officers family were unhappy as they thought they'd been given the original shield and now they were wondering if they indeed did have the original. The two shields were different in that they had different "rank" titles, Policeman, Police Officer, I can't remember the details other than that the police department allegedly put the difference in wording down to affording more status to the dead officer.
By an uncanny coincidence I dont collect police badges either and Itoo know a few police officers. Well, a great many, some from countries other than the UK but not many Americans.
Nobody sold "my" shield, it was given. I'll have the ex-sarge cautioned and then I'll ask him if he would be allowed to sell it.
Please don't send the boys 'round, if I'm to be arrested I'm sure my wife will be delighted to do it.
Well have to liaise with US police to bring his grandkids in for possessing his "proper" police stuff - the little villains.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 21-05-18 at 04:04 PM.
Old 22-05-18, 12:34 PM

As a retired officers badge, I would think its a leaving 'gift' of sorts. As such surely the retired officer can do as he pleases with it?
Old 22-05-18, 01:41 PM

I've never really been able to understand why the US police find it so essential that they continue to carry a badge around with them when they are retired. If you are retired, you are retired, end of. I know that in many cases they buy such (retired) badges themselves, as opposed to their being presented with one. The very concept seems (to me) to suggest deception or even worse. It is one thing to retain a memento of your previous service as a bobby, it is another to carry it around with you. Why?? Still, it takes all sorts........

Dave.
Old 22-05-18, 02:16 PM

Essex Police issued retired officer warrant cards. My mate's dad had one. It was green if memory serves, had an ID photo and his number on it.

I was with him once when he used it to scare a kid who was damaging a wall.
Old 22-05-18, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
I've never really been able to understand why the US police find it so essential that they continue to carry a badge around with them when they are retired. If you are retired, you are retired, end of. I know that in many cases they buy such (retired) badges themselves, as opposed to their being presented with one. The very concept seems (to me) to suggest deception or even worse. It is one thing to retain a memento of your previous service as a bobby, it is another to carry it around with you. Why?? Still, it takes all sorts........

Dave.
Presumably it's a cultural thing to do with esprit de corps and the old boys club. It's also the norm I think for the equivalent of a "retired"" warrant card to be issued in America, I'd never heard of the practise here.
This shield was presented not bought, it's 2/3rd proper size and is clearly marked "retired". It has not been carried around by the recipient, but tucked away in a drawer.
He's an ex-US Marine, so perhaps I should be grateful that he doesn't shout ""Sir Yes Sir" when I offer him a drink. OORAH for that.
I view it as being an equivalent to the regimental or force wall plaques that are more the norm here.
I don't know why anyone would want to carry a "retired" shield on them unless it cuts them some slack when it comes to copping a speeding ticket or has some bearing on the right to carry a firearm, but then neither do I understand why people join the Royal British Legion and tick-tock up and down in a paramilitary uniform carrying banners. I suspect the American versions may carry benefits such as discounts.
Personally I declined the force retirement clock / decanter and don't have an interest in maintaining links with my past regiments and forces.
I don't see where deception comes into the equation unless the retired mini shield is used as a prop in gaining
some unlawful advantage.
I do see where the offence of impersonating a police officer comes in to play if a badge or other ID is flashed in such circumstances as to claim or imply that the person in possession is a serving police officer when they're not, whether in America or Essex.