British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-03-18, 01:04 PM

Default Mahratta Light Infantry Epaulette Slip ons

Here come three different patterns of Mahratta Light Infantry officers epaulette slip ons, of different patterns. The first one, in grey flannel, with pips outlined in "light infantry" green cloth, could possibly be older than WWII? the third one sports pips with a "infantry" red backing, could it possibly be some kind of battalion distinction? thank you for you help, gents!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mahrattas_Epaulette_wool_2.jpg (67.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Mahrattas_Epaulette_Airtex.jpg (61.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg mahrattas_insignia.jpg (78.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-03-18, 02:41 PM

I suspect many such variations are the result of local manufacture, in India or while overseas. Both Nos. 2 & 3 look to my failry untutored eye like 'standard' pattern but the first is indeed unusual and may be pre-War. I'm not sure, though I suspect somebody can say, when the slip-ons were introduced in the IA. Possibly before WWII, as at least some units had practical experience from the NWF of the perils of picking out officers by giving them distinctive dress or insignia.
Old 04-03-18, 11:25 AM

The first one is certainly older then the 60W MagSafe Power Adapter.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 05-03-18, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
The first one is certainly older then the 60W MagSafe Power Adapter.
quite so! :-D
Old 05-03-18, 11:59 AM

Default Eapaulettes

I would suspect that No1 is pre-ww2, and was worn on the blue grey shirt in India, at a time when shirt sleeve order wasn't official but common sense allowed for tunics to be removed in hot climates.

The second is of a style I would associate with having been made in the Indian sub-continent during the 1939-47 period.

The third has the red backing to pips normally associated with British infantry units. Perhaps the officer transferred units and brought his pips with him, OR if the Bn served in Europe the owner obtained the only replacement available to him i.e. of British origin.

Stephen.

PS- I note that 1/5 Bn served in Italy in 1943/44 so there is a possibility of British kit being acquired.

Last edited by badjez; 05-03-18 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Update.
Old 05-03-18, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
I would suspect that No1 is pre-ww2, and was worn on the blue grey shirt in India, at a time when shirt sleeve order wasn't official but common sense allowed for tunics to be removed in hot climates.
That would make perfect sense. Other than making insignia removeable to foil snipers, the slip-ons also extended the life of such things, especially in the days before washing machines, when the dhobi wallahs used a flat rock or concrtete slab to beat the dirt out of garments!

It's possible that the red edged pips belonged to a British officer on transfer - there were many, especially ater the IA units saw action and took officer casualties which their own trainig facilities could not replace as quickly as needed. It's also, I think, possible that one or more of ther Battalions of the Mahrattas used 'Rifles' or 'LI' style pips, possibly in defiance of regulations, as a regimental disticntion. I've commented elesewhere about the tendency of all armies to 'improve' on the official dres rules whenever possible.
Old 05-03-18, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
in the days before washing machines, when the dhobi wallahs used a flat rock or concrtete slab to beat the dirt out of garments!
That is really not something of the past.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 06-03-18, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post

The second is of a style I would associate with having been made in the Indian sub-continent during the 1939-47 period.

The third has the red backing to pips normally associated with British infantry units. Perhaps the officer transferred units and brought his pips with him, OR if the Bn served in Europe the owner obtained the only replacement available to him i.e. of British origin.

Stephen.

PS- I note that 1/5 Bn served in Italy in 1943/44 so there is a possibility of British kit being acquired.
While it could not be considered as a definite evidence of the fact that the owner of the BD served in Italy, the blouse is a War Aid US Made Battledress, widespread and very much in use with British and Commonwealth troops fighting on the Italian Front, 1943-45.
Old 06-03-18, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
That is really not something of the past.
I had my laundry done that way for several years when living in West Africa!

Peter