British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-01-18, 03:28 PM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=119948
Old 09-01-18, 04:59 PM

Default Canadian Parachute Corps Cap Badge

Not knowledgeable enough to render an absolute judgement, but can offer an article from my blog that will provide some guidance as to what to look for. See; https://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/p/british-militaria.html . Just scroll down the article for a specific analysis with photographic evidence. Hope this is of some assistance.
Have a happy and healthy New Year,
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Old 11-01-18, 11:03 PM

I would be interested to hear from others what makes this a bad badge.

Mike
Old 13-01-18, 03:51 PM

and.................................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stony ground.jpg (74.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 15-01-18, 04:13 PM

Curious, the silence is deafening on this post...
Old 15-01-18, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Compare with the badges posted in the gallery Mike. Lots of little clues. Plus the badge in question appears to be a cast badge, not die struck.
Old 16-01-18, 07:39 PM

Default Cdn Para Corps Badge

Sorry Bill but I might have to disagree with you on this badge.

I am not going to go out on the limb as I don't have this in hand and there are no good shots of the lugs etc. HOWEVER, it matches examples made by Roden Bros. perfectly. Why do I say this? Because the Roden Bros badges had more pronounced tiny defects and anomalies not obvious on badges struck by other companies. It may or may not have anything to do with it however there were at least two sets of hubs and dies made for this badge at different times. It may just be the thickness of the metal sheeting used or the actual stamping process. With the badge lying on its lugs, the one defect is found at the right hand base of the central maple leaf. Another is the defect to the top right of the "S" in Corps and the other at the edge of the scrolling to the right of that. There are also small anomalies found to the top left of the "R" in parachute and the "N" in Canadian. One some badges these are less pronounced and sometimes difficult to spot. On badges, like that made by Roden, they are more pronounced. Very fine details like the stipple effect where originally the badge was to be pierced between the wings and parachute are difficult to reproduce as well as the line details found within the parachute canopy. All the copies I have seen do not reproduce these well or at all. This being because the thickness of the parachute and the depth of the parachute lines. So I am not saying that Bill is 100% wrong, but my feeling is that the badge is either good or a damn good scary copy. As for lugs. It might help but I would also like to point out that these badges were made with all sorts of lugs. Stamped, semi-rounded like the type you typcially see on British badges and rounded like those you see on Scully badges. Every example I have as reference was worn by a veteran of the School or Battalion. Not acquired post war. THIS IS WHY A-HOLES THAT COPY THESE THINGS NEED A SWIFT KICK UP THE ARSE! SELFISH MORONS THAT COULD CARE LESS IF THEY DESTROY A SAFE AND IMPORTANT HOBBY.
Old 16-01-18, 07:52 PM

Default Ok ya, I really think this is good.

I looked closer at tiny defects that exist as "dots" in the feathering detail and I have to say that I doubt any of that could have been achieved by a casting. Even a cold mold method of casting will leave some obvious defects. All the defects on this badge are exactly those found on originals. If all the stipple and line details are there, I am going to have to say that this badge is good.

Ken
Old 16-01-18, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly the problem with repros. I would not buy this badge and I would not want it in my accumulation. Compared with my original there are too many discrepancies, so I would chose not to acquire it.
It may be good, but it may not. That, to paraphrase Shakespeare, is the crux of the issue. Repros, especially of Cdn Para Corps are so prolific, and so close to original it is becoming a crap shoot.