British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-09-17, 06:20 PM

Default CANSOFCOM Uniform

This may be the first public wear of the newly authorized uniform for CANSOF. It was at the final parade for outgoing Governor General Johnston. Unfortunately, no close-up photos for insignia details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CANSOF1.jpg (70.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg CANSOF.jpg (67.0 KB, 120 views)
Old 29-09-17, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

It is not clear if all of the personnel of the CANSOFCOM wear it. Some staff appointments/command appointments may continue to wear their branch of service uniform. The CSOR are wearing this uniform, and maybe JTF2. It was apparently decided that CSOR, being composed of personnel from all three services should not adopt the uniform of any of the existing patterns. So, they opted for the type of dress uniform similar to that as worn by the FSSF. The insignia includes the FSSF shoulder patch. (Red arrowhead USA/CANADA).
And another note. CSOR is wearing the multi-cam uniform, not cadpat.
Another oddity (at least in my opion), is that the CSOR are the senior unit of the armed forces.
Old 29-09-17, 10:56 PM

Default CANSOFCOM

Bill, within the Canadian Armed Forces, the Royal Canadian Navy is the senior service. Now if in the order of Canadian Army precedence the Canadian Special Operations Regiment has somehow become senior to the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps, the Royal Canadian Artillery and the Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers/Canadian Military Engineers, then I would be very interested in seeing a document which explains how this change would have come about. Perhaps instead CSOR has become senior in the list of infantry regiments?
Old 29-09-17, 11:53 PM

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/06/05...dress-uniform/

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 30-09-17, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Ed, I have never understood the precedence of the Canadian forces. The RCN was not created until long long long after the first embodied militias, or the first permanent army units. My understanding, and I thought you had said something about this was that they paraded at the front of the line in a mixed service parade. (After the service colleges.) And CSOR includes navy, army and airforce personnel.
Old 30-09-17, 01:09 AM

Default Order of Precidence

The date or which a service was formed generally has little to do with precedence which is more concerned with tradition and history, regular or reserve force. The Royal Canadian Navy is the senior Canadian service because we take our military traditions from the British; since Britain is a sea-faring nation and the Royal Navy is their senior service, then so is the RCN senior in Canada. Therefore when looking at the three branches of the Canadian Armed Forces it is Navy, Army and Air Force.

Within the Army; Armour, Artillery and Engineers are the top three corps due in part to their prestige and technical acumen. Within the Armoured Corps there is an order of precedence with RCD, LdSH and 12 RBC being the first three, they are also regular force; this is followed by reserve regiments starting with the GGHG all the way to the Windsor R (RCAC).

Looking at the Infantry, the three regular force regiments are senior in the order consisting RCR, PPCLI and R22eR this is followed by the reserves with the GGFG being senior all the way to the R Nfld R. I would suspect that if CSOR is on this list then it would fall in after the R22eR in the spot once held by the Canadian Airborne Regiment.

For a parade this order is tweaked a little. The honour of "the right of the line" (precedence over other units), on an army parade, is held by the units of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery when on parade with their guns. On dismounted parades, RCHA units take precedence over all other land force units except formed bodies of officer cadets of the Royal Military College representing their college. Royal Canadian Artillery (generally reserve) units parade to the left of units of the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps.
Old 30-09-17, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

Yes Ed, we have discussed this before.
The new question is the place of the CSOR. I thought that they had paraded at the the first DUE to the fact that personnel were drawn from all branches = the RCN personnel would make the CSOR senior.
Old 30-09-17, 01:50 PM

Default Precedence

The overriding question from all of this is "Where does CSOR fit into the Order of Precedence?"
Old 30-09-17, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Another question. Who is entitled to wear the brown / tan uniform? Only CSOR? JTF2?
Old 30-09-17, 06:03 PM

Default New Uniform

The new uniform is for CSOR as they take much of their lineage from the wartime FSSF.
Old 30-09-17, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

JTF2 wears thr regular army DEU?
On another page, images were posted of another group wearing this new DEU. Their collars appear to be cross arrows, and they are wearing a cap badge, but it couldn't be made out as to the design.
Old 30-09-17, 07:39 PM

Default New Uniform

Yes, my understanding is that JTF2 is still wearing their various service uniforms - remember JTF2 has members from all three services.

I don't think CSOR have their own cap badge so most likely the cap badge is from the members parent unit.

Too bad the Canadian military PR machine couldn't be bothered to but out a press release to explain the uniform changes and clear up the mystery.
Old 30-09-17, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

But that would fly in the face of the secret nature of CSOR...
Old 30-09-17, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Can't tell you. If I do I will have to eliminate you...
Old 04-10-17, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
The overriding question from all of this is "Where does CSOR fit into the Order of Precedence?"
Snippet from CFP200-The Honours, Flags And Heritage Structure of the Canadian Forces (1999)(Mod2008)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CFP200.jpg (65.0 KB, 50 views)